DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lathe tools (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/140059-lathe-tools.html)

Ron January 13th 06 10:41 AM

Lathe tools

I just acquired an old Beaver lathe along with 6 tools. The tools need
some rust and paint removal but I've noticed that the brass or copper
sleeves are missing. Can these be purchased some place or do I need to
find a machinist to make some?

Ron

Walt Cheever January 13th 06 12:43 PM

Lathe tools

Ron,

I have used slices of copper pipe joiner fittings, there are some ferrules
available at Lee Valley Tools, and I understand that people who work on
hydraulic hoses have a whole potload of the things in various sizes. Having
a machinist make them might cost more than the lathe.

Walt C

Leo Lichtman January 13th 06 05:15 PM

Lathe tools

"Walt Cheever" wrote: (clip) Having a machinist make them might cost more
than the lathe.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is certainly true. However, the problem will be finding ferrules that
fit tightly on the existing handles.

Ferrules are there to keep the wood from splitting, and to snazz up the
appearance. You could possibly wrap the handle with closely spaced wire
winding, and then solder or tie the wire--if you don't care about looks.
You might be able to shave off a little wood to make the available ferrules
fit. Or, since you this newly acquired wood lathe, you could use it to
make some wooden sleeves to "fatten" the handles to a size that fits an
available ferrule.

charlie b January 13th 06 05:42 PM

Lathe tools

Head over to your local hardware or plumbing store and
pick up some copper couplings and maybe some reducers.
One inch, 3/4" and 1/2" are readily available. If they
won't fit your handles - turn some new ones that will..
Good practice and the tools will become more personal

And get them sharp. Lot more fun - and safer - to
turn with sharp tools.

charlie b

Ron January 13th 06 10:21 PM

Lathe tools

charlie b wrote:
Head over to your local hardware or plumbing store and
pick up some copper couplings and maybe some reducers.
One inch, 3/4" and 1/2" are readily available. If they
won't fit your handles - turn some new ones that will..
Good practice and the tools will become more personal

And get them sharp. Lot more fun - and safer - to
turn with sharp tools.

charlie b

Thanks for the help everyone. I now have another way to make saw dust.