Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

Default Foot wear

TerryB wrote:
exercise....) Will post findings tomorrow if I am not still walking in
my crocs. So far so good!!

After a 1.5 mile walk yesterday and the rest of the days activities,
got home last night and had some pretty happy feet. Even hulking my
bulk around.

I think the next test will be standing in the shop for several hours.

Once again, thanks for all the input!!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Schneider

I use cushoned floor mats. The are 2x4 ft.

Go to http://www.rocker.com search for floor mat.

They are on sale now for $10.00 each ( I stack them 2 deep in front of
the lathe).

Happy turning,
Mike

vdubbs wrote:
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

--
The greatest performance improvement occurs on the transition of from
the non-working state to the working state.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. Clarke

Tom Nie wrote:

Bertie, for a blown apart ankle generally fused together to form an ankle
I thoroughly understand your running shoes comment BUT only when the soles
are like a TRUE Air Jordan's. That's to say Nike in their infinite wisdom
have kept the name but not the construction (latest trip to the shoe store
revealed). God knows, those kind of shoes are fadish and change more than
women's fashions.

There's another very soft sole that you can squeeze at the heel plate to
feel the difference that works tremendously to reduce jarring the joint.
Most, almost all, of the others have foam soles but a different kind which
tends to dampen only slightly and compact with age on the contact edge
creating uneven support (that ankle angles to the right some). Maybe some
expert will read this and give us more specific nomenclature. Regardless,
suffice to say I have a sensitivity to shoes and their construction that's
abnormal.

The only kind of casual dress shoe I've found, only recently, is an
ungodly expensive ECCO brand. It has my preferred sole but cost $160! But
they are outstandingly comfortable. I'm sure there's merit to all the
other posts but I haven't tried them.

I also found out about ECCO a few years back--just seem to fit me and the
sizing is very consistent.

Also seem to be quite durable--my first pair with no care at all is still
fine structurally, although they look like they've been through a war.

Note that they have several insoles available and that they are
interchangeable--the ones that came in my boots were quite slippery, which
is NFG hiking in New England--a call to ECCO got me a new set that were
much more satisfactory.

For your first pair you pretty much need to go to a store and try them and
pay the price to be sure you've got the right size (they're European sizes
by the way), after that you can order online if you can find your size and
style.

And bear in mind that what works for me may not work for you.

TomNie

Bertie Pittman wrote in message
On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you

From my own experience with foot and back aches I've found that I am
most comfortable on concrete when I wear a good pair of running shoes
or a good pair of sneakers that have some arch support and good thick
rubber soles. I sometimes find that foam or gel inserts also help.

The footwear industry seem to make a lot of worthless junk IMO and
what works for many don't always work for me. Some of the most
expensive and highly rated have not been any better for me than
cheaper brands or different kinds of shoes . I've only found them by
continued trial and error.

Although they aren't safety shoes , when standing at the lathe for
long periods of time I now wear a pair of New Balance tennis shoes but
I've had other brands that worked just as well. For me, my shoes have
be comfortable first for general walking then hopefully they'll
continue to support and be comfortable after extended standing or work
on concrete or steel. I also have foam type pad that's made to stand
on in front of my lathe and my band saw. And I learned from a lady
that used to post regularly in this newsgroup about sweeping the
shavings pile up in front of my lathe to stand on. The only problem
with that idea was my dogs likes those shavings piles and I'd have to
be constantly jousting with them or just work with them underfoot.

It may also be more than just shoes involved. Notwithstanding any
medical condition, age seems to make a difference also, more than
one's weight IMO. After becoming a wood turner I had terrible back
aches from bending over on the lathe. But after I learned about
raising the lathe high enough so the center line between the spur and
tail stock was about as high as my elbow or a little higher there are
no more back aches. That tip gleaned here also prompted me to also
raise many other things in my life such as band saws, bench grinders,
work benches, tables, etc.. even my fish cleaning bench is now much
higher and I'm more comfortable for sure!

I also know a teacher that is on her feet all day on concrete or tiled
floors. She is a larger lady and has had trouble with her feet hurting
over the years. She now wears and swear's by Birkenstocks. But she
only wears the "sandal" types, not safety shoes.

Bertie

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

Well it has been over a week since I got my Crocs, and I must say that
they are becoming my favorite.

We have been walking daily and I have wore my Crocs and my sneekers
during our brisk walks. We walk
about a mile at a time and with the sneeks on, my feet are letting me
know that they are ready to fall off long before we stop
walking. I can wear the Crocs and my feet will never complain.

This is working for me, your mileage may vary.

FOOT SHEAR knowone Metalworking 5 December 17th 05 07:29 PM
Ariston combi boiler rebecca g UK diy 19 November 30th 05 02:42 PM
Hobart CyberTig foot pedal problems Gunner Asch Metalworking 5 November 3rd 05 04:58 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Need resistor value for Hobart TR250-HF foot pedal mawdeeb Metalworking 6 October 9th 03 11:00 AM