Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Eccentric Turning

Cutting Corners - Eccentricly

I’m hoping there are some Escoulen followers / eccentric turners in the
group who can answer the following questions

When turning multipe centers eccentrics

1. For a given pair of “centers”, do you turn at the
“null point” where there’s the least “shadow” or
at the most eccentric point where the “shadow”
is greatest?

2. For a given pair of “centers”, do you cut in
a cove at each then beads in between or cut
the beads first then the coves connecting them?

Have posted a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
"Eccentric Turning Experiments"
as examples of

a) flat bottom coves at the null points with a bead
cut in the flat area of each cove
b) coves cut at the maximum "shadow" point
and beads connecting them

The blanks were 3/4" x 1 1/4" cherry
with 5 "centers" on each diagonal.

The coves were done with a detail/spindle
gouge and the beads done with a skew.

I've learned HOW to turn eccentric pieces
but I can't foresee the basic outcome prior
to actually turning the piece. Other than
Escoulen's site, is there any other site
that goes into the planning part of eccentric
turning?

Fun stuff this turning thing.

charlie b