DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Purple stain on Yew (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/133885-purple-stain-yew.html)

Alun December 2nd 05 04:37 PM

Purple stain on Yew

Just turned a beautiful piece of Yew that has a little swirly purple
stain in an area around a knot in the white sapwood. In this case it
actually looks quite attractive, so I'm not too worried, but I was
wondering what might have caused it? Some kind of mould / fungus maybe?
--
Alun Saunders

robo hippy December 2nd 05 08:22 PM

Purple stain on Yew

Alun,
I think that it is just because it is yew wood. I haven't turned a lot
of it, but have had some that was all yellow, some that had purple
streaks in it, and some that developed a purple patina as it dried
(which sanded out, and didn't return).
robo hippy

outofthewoods December 2nd 05 10:09 PM

Purple stain on Yew

Over the years I have found many hues of red and purple in yew, you seem to
get more of it in older larger trees, or that is my experience.
Hotfoot

oups.com...