DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Storing wet wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/129054-storing-wet-wood.html)

robo hippy November 12th 05 06:05 PM

Storing wet wood

I got about 200 lbs of Madrone Burl early this summer and did a bit of
an experiment on storing it. A friend of mine takes his fresh cut
turning stock and burys it in a saw dust pile. I tried it with this
burl.I put shavings on the ground, put the burl on it, placed more
shavings around it, wet them down, and then covered it with a white
tarp. I didn't cover the tops of the burl. I dug the last piece out
about 2 weeks ago. The top of it had cracked and opened up a bit (where
it was covered with a tarp but not shavings). The sides and bottoms,
other than coloring a bit were in mint condition. I turned a few
natural edge bowls and hollow forms, and they all moved like madrone
always does; big distortions in unpredictable ways. The next fresh logs
I get will get the samd treatment, only I wil completely cover the wood
to be saved. After all, we always have lots of shavings around.
robo hippy