DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glues for oiled woods (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/128829-glues-oiled-woods.html)

Errol Caldwell November 11th 05 12:52 AM

Glues for oiled woods

I have a salad bowl which has developed a 2 inch hairline crack. The bowl
has been well oiled and I will require a glue that can penetrate the crack
but also adhere in spite of the oil. Does anyone have suggestions?

Errol Caldwell November 11th 05 04:01 AM

Glues for oiled woods

The owner did apply oil to the bowl after the crack appeared so an oil
resistant glue would be essential.

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Have you applied oil since the crack appeared? If not, there should be a
minimal amount of oil in the crack and thin CA might do the trick. It
will
usually wick into hairline cracks.

Barry

. ..

Bjarte Runderheim November 11th 05 09:03 AM

Glues for oiled woods

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Have you applied oil since the crack appeared? If not, there should be a
minimal amount of oil in the crack and thin CA might do the trick. It
will
usually wick into hairline cracks.

I always thought CA _was_ oilresistant?

Bjarte

Barry N. Turner November 12th 05 01:48 PM

Glues for oiled woods

I'm not sure there is any such thing as an oil-resistant glue. The success
of the gluing will be dependent on the surfaces to be glued being clean and
oil-free, but I think CA will work as well as anything else.

Barry

W Canaday November 13th 05 05:42 AM

Glues for oiled woods

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:01:43 -0500, Errol Caldwell wrote:

The owner did apply oil to the bowl after the crack appeared so an oil
resistant glue would be essential.

Could you use acetone to leach the oil out of there, wick thin CA in and
then re-sand / re-oil?

Without holding the piece in my hands, I think that's one course worth
considering.

Bill