DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   computer controlled lathes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/128591-computer-controlled-lathes.html)

BemusedbyQM November 9th 05 12:58 PM

computer controlled lathes

hi,

does anyone here use a computer controlled lathe to do sort of symmetrical
stuff, or do you all do everything by hand?

[email protected] November 9th 05 09:55 PM

computer controlled lathes

I do a lot of turning by hand as a hobby.

A cardboard template is handy for matching profiles.

A duplicator add-on is used if I need to do a lot of copies, such as
rail spindles.

[email protected] November 10th 05 10:49 PM

BemusedbyQM wrote:
hi,

does anyone here use a computer controlled lathe to do sort of symmetrical
stuff, or do you all do everything by hand?

I have been using a HAPFO AP 7000 CNC lathe for about 3 1/2 years.
Mostly for ornamental stuff. Jim

Barry N. Turner November 11th 05 03:26 PM

computer controlled lathes

Nope. If we had computer-controlled lathes...........anybody could do this
stuff. As it is, we spend half a lifetime learning how to do something a
12-year old kid could program a computerized lathe to do in 15 minutes.

Barry

mac davis November 11th 05 04:22 PM

computer controlled lathes

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:26:59 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Nope. If we had computer-controlled lathes...........anybody could do this
stuff. As it is, we spend half a lifetime learning how to do something a
12-year old kid could program a computerized lathe to do in 15 minutes.

Barry

But there IS a subtle difference, Barry...

One of my neighbors is a life-long machinist... he has said many times that the
difference between our "skills" is that he could take a bowl or something that
I've turned and make as many exact copies as he wanted too...
The difference he sees is that he wouldn't have a clue on how to make the first
one... The "creative part" as he calls it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

BemusedbyQM November 12th 05 08:33 AM

computer controlled lathes

wrote in message
ups.com...

BemusedbyQM wrote:
hi,

does anyone here use a computer controlled lathe to do sort of

symmetrical
stuff, or do you all do everything by hand?

I have been using a HAPFO AP 7000 CNC lathe for about 3 1/2 years.
Mostly for ornamental stuff. Jim

i just looked up that lathe on google - looks awesome. a little out of my
price range though...