Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Question New Nova DVR XP

According to Robert Sorby's new catalogue, the Nova DVRXP has replaced the DVR3000 which is said now only to be available on a limited basis. On the face of the pictures, the XP seems to have got a fancy new bed in a shiny silver as opposed to the dull grey. More interestingly, the motor is stated to have 5 pre-set speeds together with increased torque at low revs. Despite the colour change, the headstock looks just like the old one. Wonder if Teknatool will offer an upgrade? Has anyone more news?
Dick

Yes, the bed is bigger and stronger - not that I have heard of anyone
breaking the old one.
The START button gets an instant start - no more checking the body
parts before getting going.
Five pre-set speeds (four of which you can change to your own
preference) that you switch between whether stopped or running with a
two button push.
Greater total power. A full 2hp on 230 volts.
The head looks the same but is now a single casting - can't see that
making much difference to the turning.
All the old add-ons still fit so changing just the head will surely be
an option.

Dick

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the Turner
According to Robert Sorby's new catalogue, the Nova DVRXP has replaced the DVR3000 which is said now only to be available on a limited basis. On the face of the pictures, the XP seems to have got a fancy new bed in a shiny silver as opposed to the dull grey. More interestingly, the motor is stated to have 5 pre-set speeds together with increased torque at low revs. Despite the colour change, the headstock looks just like the old one. Wonder if Teknatool will offer an upgrade? Has anyone more news?
Forgot to say that the price for the DVRXP is £1595 as opposed to £1395 for the old model. Also the prices for the stand, bed extension and outrigger attachment have all increased as well!
Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Managed to scan a photo of the catalogue page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVRs.jpg (28.2 KB, 359 views)
George

"Dick" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, the bed is bigger and stronger - not that I have heard of anyone
breaking the old one.
The START button gets an instant start - no more checking the body
parts before getting going.

Looks like a standard casting they outsourced, doesn't it? Question is
whether the cooling of a Chiwan casting will be consistent and adequate.
Had a number of failures of castings on Grizzly equipment in our HS shop,
and they were _very_ coarse-grained.

Does the start give a "soft" ramp up, or an instant grab and go? Not that
I'm interested in replacing the 3000 head right now, but with the pin chuck,
soft start would be nice. I get heavy chunks spinning by hand before
switching now, but sometimes I forget.

william kossack

got some info from Teknatool

circut board upgrades will be available to upgrade older DVRs to the XP
controls ($300). Some of the things I've heard is the new boards will
give more power to the older DVRs (10%) at low rpm settings and other
features such as newer controls.

The XP headstock is larger with improved windings to give substantially
more power. The XP head will fit on the old bed so if you really wanted
you could put the XP head on your old bed but I bet the lions share of
the cost of the XP is in the headstock.

Tony the Turner wrote:
According to Robert Sorby's new catalogue, the Nova DVRXP has replaced
the DVR3000 which is said now only to be available on a limited basis.
On the face of the pictures, the XP seems to have got a fancy new bed
in a shiny silver as opposed to the dull grey. More interestingly, the
motor is stated to have 5 pre-set speeds together with increased torque
at low revs. Despite the colour change, the headstock looks just like
the old one. Wonder if Teknatool will offer an upgrade? Has anyone more
news?

W Canaday

Default New Nova DVR XP

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:29:04 +0100, Tony the Turner wrote:

Managed to scan a photo of the catalogue page.

|Filename: DVRs.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment....tachmentid=121 |

Try again. I'm afraid the transporter room experienced a power surge at a
bad moment.

Nova 3K George Woodturning 32 July 19th 05 07:03 PM
WTB - Nova 3000 lathe Rob McConachie Woodturning 17 September 10th 04 05:31 PM
FS: Nova 3000 & Outboard Tool Rest for Nova DVR3000 and 3000 Lathes bob bauer Woodturning 0 August 22nd 04 05:35 AM
FS: Nova Ornamental Turning Attachment Nick Silva Woodturning 3 July 26th 04 03:04 AM
Nova chuck on Jet mini 1014? Joe Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 08:10 PM