DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   My tribute to Keith Rowley (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/122281-my-tribute-keith-rowley.html)

Peter Charles Fagg September 26th 05 12:34 PM

My tribute to Keith Rowley

In the September issue of "Woodturning" magazine I learnt that Keith
Rowley had died.

If it had not been for his writing of the book "Woodturning a
Foundation Course" I would have given up 15 years ago ever considering
woodturning as a hobby or as a business. All those years ago I propped
his book against the wall behind my then, very basic and cheap lathe,
and followed almost word for word his descriptions for turning bowls.
To say I am indebted to his expertise could never suffice in satisfying
the gratitude I feel for his most excellent tutoring.

I never met him and now it is too late but I would have liked to say
thankyou to someone who made an enormous impression on my life.

There must be thousands of turners around the world for whom the name
Keith Rowley is synonimous with tutoring in woodturning.

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

charlie b September 27th 05 06:27 AM

Really good teachers/tutors are rare. Not only
do they convey information, but, when really
good, confidence to actually try to use the
information. Once you believe you can do
something the rest is easy.

Another author to look for on the next trip
to Barnes & Noble.

Sounds like the man lives on in the folks he
inspired to try.

charlie b

Lobby Dosser September 27th 05 08:18 AM

charlie b wrote:

Really good teachers/tutors are rare. Not only
do they convey information, but, when really
good, confidence to actually try to use the
information. Once you believe you can do
something the rest is easy.

Another author to look for on the next trip
to Barnes & Noble.

Might want to also look for his video. Every time I'm away from the lathe
for a few months I go to his basic book and video before starting up
again. Better than Raffan or any of the others for Solid, basic
information.

mike September 29th 05 01:07 AM

I am very sorry to hear of Keith Rowley's passing. I bought his book
several years ago and still refer to it from time to time. With his
well written book I taught myself to spindle turn. My condolences to
his family.
mike

[email protected] February 9th 20 11:45 AM

My tribute to Keith Rowley

Im just picking all this up again after a couple of decades of not doing any turning. Ive bought his book and am steadily reading through it - Im already feeling far happier and more knowledgeable about how to get stuck in again.
What a sad thing to find out hes no longer with us. Quite clearly a gentleman and a loss to the community. Much respect to who was very obviously a talented man.

Graham February 10th 20 09:40 PM

My tribute to Keith Rowley

On 2020-02-09 4:45 a.m., wrote:
Im just picking all this up again after a couple of decades of not doing any turning. Ive bought his book and am steadily reading through it - Im already feeling far happier and more knowledgeable about how to get stuck in again.
What a sad thing to find out hes no longer with us. Quite clearly a gentleman and a loss to the community. Much respect to who was very obviously a talented man.

Some years ago I had a nice chat with him about pricing work after he
had demonstrated making a pomander with a barley-twist stem. He made it
look so easy in the demo.