Default #3 Jaws for the Talon Oneway-- problem

Just got around to trying to use my #3 jaws on the talon chuck to
flatten some rings I had glued up. Put the jaws on the chuck with the
pin in the long slot, as I have a 4-1/2" ring I needed to grip on the
OD. Opened up the chuck & tried to insert the ring-- guess what-- the
jaws only open up 4-1/4", NOT the 4-5/8" as advertised on the box and
the Oneway website. Anyone else have this problem??

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Phil

Are you absolutely sure you have the jaw with the safety pin located by
the long slot ??

Try after you take the jaw with the safety pin off of the chuck and see
if you can open the chuck farther, there could be dirt , like a wood
ship or glue etc. in there.

Lastly I have taken the safety pin out once or twice to go slightly
beyond the max. opening, but I always put the pin back in after that.

Other than that there is a forum on the Oneway site, you can get the
right answers fast from Oneway, or you can call Oneway for info.

And no I have never had problems with my Oneway chucks.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote:
Just got around to trying to use my #3 jaws on the talon chuck to
flatten some rings I had glued up. Put the jaws on the chuck with the
pin in the long slot, as I have a 4-1/2" ring I needed to grip on the
OD. Opened up the chuck & tried to insert the ring-- guess what-- the
jaws only open up 4-1/4", NOT the 4-5/8" as advertised on the box and
the Oneway website. Anyone else have this problem??

Absolutely positive that the #4 jaw with the pin is in the long slot--
also the chuck is absolutely clean--
FYI-- Just got this from Oneway:
"I am not sure why the web page is the size it is, it is incorrect. It
should be internal 3-3/8 to 4-5/8 and external 2-7/8 to 4.0 I will get
it changed. I am a bit more puzzled by the box as the sizes on the
label I am looking at right now are correct."

I sent them along a picture of the box & also told them the same sizes
are recorded in the users manual I got with my Talon.
OK, I know that 1/2" in dia might not mean much (unless you need it) &
I don't really want to buy a set of #4 jaws-- (The jumbos would be
really nice to have though) I was just wondering if anybody else had
the same experience with the labeling & actual size that the jaws
really open.

Removing the pin might work, but I don't know if the jaws will move
another 1/4" without falling out. Will take a look at that. Thanks
Phil

Actually, their literature in the owners manual gives the sizes of all
jaws with the note that says the dimentions are accurate within 1/8"--
I just didn't think that 1/2" was within that range-- unless my math
brain has really gone, which it isn't. The jaws are everything else
they say, but when I saw the size on the box, then glued up expecting
it to be right, I was more than a little-- you know. Anyway, I've been
able to work around the problem this time. Guess I should have
actually measured the jaws in place before I believed what I read.
Thanks, all for letting me vent. No amount of ranting will change the
size of the jaws though.
Phil

Jim Pugh

Your real venting, well, conversation should have been with Oneway. They
are standup folks and would have made your problem right. Not too late to
contact them. Venting here should be your third or fourth choice - in my
opinion.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, their literature in the owners manual gives the sizes of all
jaws with the note that says the dimentions are accurate within 1/8"--
I just didn't think that 1/2" was within that range-- unless my math
brain has really gone, which it isn't. The jaws are everything else
they say, but when I saw the size on the box, then glued up expecting
it to be right, I was more than a little-- you know. Anyway, I've been
able to work around the problem this time. Guess I should have
actually measured the jaws in place before I believed what I read.
Thanks, all for letting me vent. No amount of ranting will change the
size of the jaws though.
Phil

mac davis

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:23:31 -0400, "Jim Pugh" wrote:

Your real venting, well, conversation should have been with Oneway. They
are standup folks and would have made your problem right. Not too late to
contact them. Venting here should be your third or fourth choice - in my
opinion.

Hey, Jim... how ya been??

I'm using a lot of the info that you were kind enough to pass on and have been
producing a much higher quality of shavings and kindling lately!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing