George

"Chuck" wrote in message
Am I the only person who is disappointed to hear that Teknatool has
discontinued the $850 Nova 3K in order to concentrate on the $1900
DVR? I don't know about the rest of you, but for me 1000 extra bucks
to get into a Nova isn't chump change. That's a lot of bowls, pens
and candlesticks. _Is_ there a domestic (US) lathe comparable to the
Nova 3000 for a similar price? Seems that Teknatool is shutting out a
lot of potential customers who might be inclined to buy a less-pricey
"entry level" lathe and have something to move up to in the future. I
mean, if I had 2 grand to spend on a lathe I'd probably wait a little
longer and just save up for a Oneway. AAMOF, that's probably what I
will do, now.

Why? Powermatic is a real great lathe at half the bucks.

The 3000 had a lot of problems and some modifications along the way. Not to
mention that a variable speed motor with controller kicks it up to a grand
and a half. At that price, I guess they prefer to chance the DVR.

Not many pulley-driven lathes available any more. Everyone else has made
their decision, now it's time for Teknatool to do it.

Chuck

Default Nova 3K

Am I the only person who is disappointed to hear that Teknatool has
discontinued the $850 Nova 3K in order to concentrate on the $1900
DVR? I don't know about the rest of you, but for me 1000 extra bucks
to get into a Nova isn't chump change. That's a lot of bowls, pens
and candlesticks. _Is_ there a domestic (US) lathe comparable to the
Nova 3000 for a similar price? Seems that Teknatool is shutting out a
lot of potential customers who might be inclined to buy a less-pricey
"entry level" lathe and have something to move up to in the future. I
mean, if I had 2 grand to spend on a lathe I'd probably wait a little
longer and just save up for a Oneway. AAMOF, that's probably what I
will do, now.

That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Maybe I don't know much about business, but it seems like a big ol'
"duh" to me.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Andrew Barss

Chuck wrote:
: will do, now.

: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
gigantic compared to typical sedans.

-- Andy Barss
william_b_noble

just to react to one piece of this commentary - every high end lathe I am
familiar with is belt driven - that includes Axminster, Oneway, Stubby,
Nichols, and so on - I guess I don't understand then, with one NZ company
making a "stepper motor" driven lathe, how that means that "everyone has
made their decision" - did I misunderstand?
snip

Not many pulley-driven lathes available any more. Everyone else has made
their decision, now it's time for Teknatool to do it.

OK guys, pay attention. I think what George is trying to say that it
is time for Teknatool to "step up to the pump" and make a more
proprietary, unrepairable, and more disposable lathe and charge too
much for it along the way. Then they WILL be like General Motors.

There will be no more of this nonsense of buying a belt, replacing a
motor or controller yourself if these and those like them have their
way. You will ship a broken machine to them or take it to their
trained monkeys at their "authorized" (read: those who paid for the
license and big bucks for someone in the shop to be trained by the
manufacturer) for repair.

Wanna upgrade the motor? Too bad. Wanna better controller? Tough.
Like Bogart said, "oh yeah? Well I"ll tell you... you'll take it and
you'll like it".

On the other hand, I think those on this group actually make up a small
percentage of the average turners. Many here, like myself are
inverterate tinkers, never leaving well enough alone. Always
experimenting, always tweaking, always trying something new. Making
tools, making finishes, trying new techniques or projects. I think of
my woodshop as Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

However, in my local woodturning club of about 60 people, there is only
one other like me. They are all bowl/platter/vase turners, and that is
it. So the machine that they buy is made for that, and that is all
they do. They are a timid lot, and don't want to take a chance at
"messing something up". So they will do nothing to change or modify
their lathes. The DVR may or may not be a valid step up for the $$$
for people, but it is probably just as good for most since the machine,
like most today, is all it will ever be when they get it. They have no
sense of exploration or Frakenstein gene, and don't care.

I think that getting rid of a mid range lathe as nice as the Teknatool
(one of the galleried turners in our club still swears by his old one)
is stupid. I am sure this is just about making more $$$ per unit, and
not a statement on the quality or drive system of lathe.

After all, others down under (I know, I know, Teknatool is in NZ and
the others are in AUS) didn't get George's memo that the decision had
been made. In addition to the lathes mentioned by Mr. Noble, there are
the wonderful Vicmarc, and the great Woodfast lathes that are still
belt driven.

Robert

Derek Hartzell

Right Bill, they are all belt-driven except the Poolewoods which are direct
drive. Apparently there was a rift between Poolewood and the actual
manufacturer of the lathe, so they are both coming out with different
models.

George

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1121215876.bc235573498041381b17ff4f3656791f@t eranews...
just to react to one piece of this commentary - every high end lathe I am
familiar with is belt driven - that includes Axminster, Oneway, Stubby,
Nichols, and so on - I guess I don't understand then, with one NZ company
making a "stepper motor" driven lathe, how that means that "everyone has
made their decision" - did I misunderstand?
snip

Not many pulley-driven lathes available any more. Everyone else has made
their decision, now it's time for Teknatool to do it.

Look at market share of the step pulley types are out there.

Then tell me how many have come on the market in the last five years.

Now do you understand?

Ken Moon

-----------

Look at market share of the step pulley types are out there.
Then tell me how many have come on the market in the last five years.

Now do you understand?

==========================
Yep,
Seems like the Reeves drive is the new default drive system. However, it is
limited in it's speed ranges ( usually approx 500-2000 RPM) unless you also
have some step drive pulleys and belts to use in conjunction with it. But
putting a jack shaft into a Reeves system would be a real bear to engineer,
especially if it's a swivel head.

Ken Moon
Webbeville, TX.

Chuck

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:31:04 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
gigantic compared to typical sedans.

They didn't do it _before_ the nanny-state mileage requirements, why
would they yearn to do it afterward? It doesn't make sense, if you
want your company to be huge and make big profits to only cater to the
upper echelons of car (or any other big ticket items) buyers. Look at
BMW, Mercedes and other traditional luxury car manufacturers. Many of
these car makers have introduced various "entry-level" models as well
as "certified pre-owned" units to meet the tastes and slightly smaller
pocketbooks of those aspiring to grander things in the car market.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Chuck

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:08:56 GMT, Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim
wrote:

Did I miss the press release? Where did you get this info?

First from a Woodcraft rep then directly from a Teknatool rep, via
email. "Yes, the Nova 3000 has been removed from
production." ....was the actual line.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Andrew Barss

: wrote:

:: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
:: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
:: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."
:
:
:Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
:requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
:gigantic compared to typical sedans.

: They didn't do it _before_ the nanny-state mileage requirements, why
: would they yearn to do it afterward? It doesn't make sense, if you
: want your company to be huge and make big profits to only cater to the
: upper echelons of car (or any other big ticket items) buyers.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

And citing GM as a company making huge profits maybe isn't the best
example, nowadays!

-- Andy Barss
George

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

However, given a few of the responses, there seems a "Hummer" mentality
contingent here.

Stubbies and VicMarks and Oneways, Oh my!

Chuck

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:21:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

My point is, when you have a proven widget that you can sell to 10
million people and develop a Widget that sells for 10x the $$ to 1000
people, it's silly to drop the widget to exclusively sell the Widget.
How can you hope to develop a customer base whom you want to aspire to
the _top_ of your product line, if you have no introductory line?
Very simple business practice, really. Why else would turners "waste
time" turning $1-$2 geegaws at shows, when they can make SO much more
selling just their $300 bowls?

And citing GM as a company making huge profits maybe isn't the best
example, nowadays!

Just the one I'm most familiar with. Call it Bob's Widget's, if you
want.
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Derek Hartzell

It probably comes down to a higher profit margin. If they can dedicate more
mfg space to equipment to make the more profitable lathe, they can be yet
more profitable. Plus with more volume they may lower their motor costs
significantly. Maybe they want to raise the standard for an introductory
lathe. An introductory motorcycle or snowmobile can be $3000-6000 for an
adult so why does a lathe need to be $900? I suspect the sales volume for
the DVR is not 10% of sales for the Nova but rather 70% or better.

One smart thing about the Nova line is their light weight/price. So
shipping can be included in selling price without the seller losing such a
high percentage to shipping. The Nova DVR makes this ratio even better.

Bill Rubenstein

Ok, I feel that it is time for me to weigh in on this thread. Maybe a
different perspective may be of interest...

I'm the North American importer for the Stubby lathes --
www.stubbylatheusa.com. For those of you attending the AAW symposium at
the end of the month, you'll be seeing the prototype of a new and less
expensive model -- the F600. It is missing some of the unique features
of the Stubby S750 and S1000 but it will be every bit as robust and nice
to use as its big brothers -- just more limiting.

It will also be cast iron -- lots of it because cast iron is a major
part of what gives the Stubby product line its robustness, freedom from
vibration, long life and all the rest of the things which go with the
name Stubby.

While it will be less costly than its big brothers, it won't be able to
compete price-wise with a lot of other machines -- it will still be on
the upper side of $3000.00 and pushing $4000.00.

Now, we could build a fabricated lathe (welded steel construction) for
less money -- quite a bit less money. But it won't feel or work like
the Stubby that people know today. Does it make sense for us to have
what we would always need to consider an inferior product just for us to
have an entry level product? Might users of our entry level product,
when ready to upgrade, look elsewhere because of the short-comings of
our entry level product?

I really am asking for opinions and would like to hear what others say
about it. I've rejected the idea of selling a fabricated machine but
maybe I'm wrong.

Bill Rubenstein
Stubby Lathe USA, Inc.

Chuck wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:03:14 -0700, "Derek Hartzell"
wrote:

It probably comes down to a higher profit margin. If they can dedicate more
mfg space to equipment to make the more profitable lathe, they can be yet
more profitable. Plus with more volume they may lower their motor costs
significantly.

This may or may not all be true, but I think my original argument
stands on its own: If you _can_ offer a lower-end product to a larger
percentage of a decidedly small population, why not do so? You're
certainly more likely to gain customer loyalty, which is no small
potatoes. Particularly when your next product price is over 100% more
than the lower end, and when you have to ship the thing halfway around
the world to a large part of your customers. It's important to know
that you're catching people at the early stages AS WELL AS the later
stages of their hobby/craft/career.

Maybe they want to raise the standard for an introductory
lathe.

Raise their "standard" maybe. There are plenty of lathes out there
for less than $900, though. But if you want to get people into your
product line, ___and already have the capacity to do so___ , (which
pre-answers the argument of "Then why aren't there any $500 Stubbys")
why on earth would you throw that selling potential away?

An introductory motorcycle or snowmobile can be $3000-6000 for an
adult so why does a lathe need to be $900?

Well, let's see, an introductory snowmobile, for instance can be had
for a mere $3k, right? And what's top-of-the-line go for...maybe 2 or
3 times that? Teknatool's former introductory lathe was what, about
$850? And their top-of-the-line lathe is maybe $1900, give or
take...a little over twice the cost of their intro mode. So I don't
get your point, I guess. The introductory model of some given thing
is about 1/2 or less the price than the best in that category. Kind
of hard to get new customers, though when you only _have_ your
"top-of-the-line." See, they're dropping their introductory lathe.

You can _get_ an "introductory lathe" of various pedigrees for a
couple hundred bucks, but the point is, as a business, to get people
to have YOUR lathe be the one they buy __first__. Not only do you
make a sale and generate brand loyalty, but if you manage to _do_
that, you guarantee yourself future sales as well. So rather than
shooting your wad on one lathe, one turner, one sale, you generate
multiple sales.

I suspect the sales volume for
the DVR is not 10% of sales for the Nova but rather 70% or better.

Suspicions and realities are two different things. I "suspect" that a
lot of their sales come from NovaChucks and accessories, too, but that
doesn't really change things.

One smart thing about the Nova line is their light weight/price. So
shipping can be included in selling price without the seller losing such a
high percentage to shipping. The Nova DVR makes this ratio even better.

Which does nothing at all for those for whom a DVR is priced beyond
their means. There are lots of other lathes around, and I'm sure I'll
get by just fine by _not_ ever owning a Nova. I was just surprised
and frankly shocked when I heard that they had dropped the 3k in favor
of a product that has had such a shaky start, (hey, I didn't write the
reviews, I just read them.) and prices them (Teknatool) out of the
market of a lot of beginners and hobbyists.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Chuck

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:57:23 GMT, Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim
wrote:

My point is, when you have a proven widget that you can sell to 10
million people and develop a Widget that sells for 10x the $$ to 1000
people, it's silly to drop the widget to exclusively sell the Widget.

So why isn't Ford still selling new model Ts?

(Mysteriously, you're arguing against yourself, as well as comparing
apples and whisk brooms.) They're not making Model Ts because they're
making about 50 other vehicles instead, some of which cost, (in 2005
dollars) less than the Model T did. (A model T cost more than [113%]
a year's wage...you can buy a 2005 Ford Focus [with a 100,000 mile
warranty!] for less than half [41%] of an average annual wage.) So
let's see, instead of making one good vehicle in one color, they're
making (for the sake of argument) 50 vehicles in 50 colors and at the
same time appealing to a greater volume of the population. You do the
math.

Maybe some executives are sick of seeing there company's good name
trashed in this form and others, when the motor shaft brakes
repeatedly and the engineers cant seem to find a inexpensive solution.

Huh? What does Teknatool's engineering problems and their success or
failure at finding a solution have to do with discontinuing a proven
product line at a lower price point?

You clearly have an axe to grind with people who aren't satisfied with
a defective product and have the audacity to complain about it. (Or is
your axe with Teknatool for having fragile motor shafts??) That's
neither here nor there and wasn't the point of the discussion. (And
why do you continue to argue both sides of the issue?)

I'm not sure you get my point, and I certainly don't get yours.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bill Rubenstein

Chuck:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know about things like swing and such
(I've done a little turning on the machine) but that will have to wait
for AAW. Also, the motor and package supplied with the machine will be
the same as I'm supplying with the S750 and S1000 -- 2 hp, Cutler Hammer
VFD with a full-function remote control.

Bill

Chuck wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:08:27 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

Ok, I feel that it is time for me to weigh in on this thread. Maybe a
different perspective may be of interest...

Thanks for the input. As a retailer, I would really like to hear your
take on it.

prototype of a new and less
expensive model -- the F600. It is missing some of the unique features
of the Stubby S750 and S1000 but it will be every bit as robust and nice
to use as its big brothers -- just more limiting.

Heheh...I think you already can gather MY opinion on this.

It will also be cast iron -- lots of it because cast iron is a major
part of what gives the Stubby product line its robustness, freedom from
vibration, long life and all the rest of the things which go with the
name Stubby.

Amen, brother. That's what I'm talking about. It IS possible to offer
a lower-priced, yet quality product to a broader slice of a decidedly
limited buying public.

While it will be less costly than its big brothers, it won't be able to
compete price-wise with a lot of other machines -- it will still be on
the upper side of $3000.00 and pushing $4000.00.

Hey, they've got the right idea. While it's out of _my_ league for a
while, it is certainly a lot closer than the big brothers are. What
will be the motor, swing and length options, do you know yet?

Does it make sense for us to have
what we would always need to consider an inferior product just for us to
have an entry level product? Might users of our entry level product,
when ready to upgrade, look elsewhere because of the short-comings of
our entry level product?

As I've said, if Stubby or any other company can maintain their
standards and offer a lower-priced product to get people into the
driver's seat, they're going a long way toward creating brand loyalty,
and just ask any car dealer what that's worth. I think you've
answered your own question, if you're talking about a fabricated
(rather than cast) unit. It _would_ be inferior and wouldn't meet
Stubby standards, so they'd be getting away from the formula of
maintaining quality and performance standards. That won't cut it,
even with an entry-level product.

It certainly is possible to cut bells and whistles and maintain
overall quality while at the same time dropping overall cost and
thereby retail cost. ( I keep falling back on car-makers, but they
have so many different models and are such a ubiquitous product that
everybody can relate.) Car manufacturers do this all the time, always
looking for a bigger piece of the pie, and if it's done right, it
works.

I really am asking for opinions and would like to hear what others say
about it. I've rejected the idea of selling a fabricated machine but
maybe I'm wrong.

No, I think you're right on the money, personally, for the reasons
stated. That's just one man's opinion, but what more can one man have
anyhow?

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Fred Holder

Chuck,

I note that you seemed to have started the thread on the Nova 3000 stating that
is was sad to hear that Teknatool is phasing out the Nova 3000. I just took a
look at their web site and there is no indication that the Nova 3000 is being
phased out. This wouldn't be a ploy to get people who were thinking of buying a
Nova 3000 or Nova DVR 3000 to consider purchasing a Stubby from you by any
chance would it?

Your original post stirred up a lot of posts, but would you like to prove that
you're not trying to use the newsgroup to promote your business? I feel open and
honest advertising on the newsgroup is acceptable, but underhanded advertising
is not in my books.

I don't post much on this newsgroup anymore because of people trying underhanded
things like you and the sometimes severe attacks on people, I'm not blaming you
for those attacks, however.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Chuck says...

wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups

Bill Rubenstein

Fred:

Chuck doesn't sell Stubbys -- at least as far as I know. I do, however.
But, before I make any post which might be construed as an
advertisement, I think long and hard as to how it might be viewed. I
don't think that going through the archives any fair person could come
to the conclusion that I am using this forum for advertising.

I let this discussion go on for some time without comment. I finally
decided that I might have a take on the subject which some might be
interested in hearing so went ahead.

I object to manufacturers who drop a new product on the market and then
tell us that we should buy and use it, where there has clearly been no
input from the set of prospective users. We end up with products with
such obvious shortcomings that it is hard to imagine that they even
considered marketing them.

Clearly some product shortcomings are the result of economic decisions
-- 2 hp costs more than 1 hp for instance. And who wouldn't rather have
2 hp? But, there are too many products out there where doing something
right would not have cost any more than the way it was done -- wrong. I
can think of several examples but you might consider that negative
advertising so I won't detail them here.

So, the reasons for my post -- as I stated -- to give another
perspective to those interested; and to find out what others thought
about my thinking on the subject.

Bill

wrote:

[...]

Chuck

On 15 Jul 2005 12:23:36 -0700, Fred Holder
wrote:

Well Fred,

Maybe you should back off, clean your glasses, read the thread again
and then apologize.

Not only do I not sell stubby lathes, I also posted the quote from
email from the Teknatool representative confirming that the Nova 3k
has been discontinued, and if you think I'm a liar, you can email them
yourself,

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I'll be waiting for your apology.

wrote:

[...]

Fred Holder

Hello Chuck,

I will apologize for mistakenly calling you a dealer of Stubby Lathes. I had
already been set straight on that, however, your posts had seemed to be very
critical of Teknatool, which I believe to be an excellent company. I have
e-mailed Roger Latimer of Teknatool requesting information about the Nova 3000.
If it is in fact being discontinued, I'll also post an apology on that item
also.

I don't quite get the statement: "the pot calling the kettle black". If this is
the feeling of this newsgroup, then I apologize to the group. Never, have I ever
intentionally done anything underhanded to promote my business, nor do I ever
plan to do so.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Chuck says...

wrote:

[...]

Chuck

On 16 Jul 2005 07:32:38 -0700, Fred Holder
wrote:

I will apologize for mistakenly calling you a dealer of Stubby Lathes.

Like being a Stubby dealer is a mortal sin? I was a little more
incensed at being accused of being an underhanded, sneaky liar.

I had
already been set straight on that, however, your posts had seemed to be very
critical of Teknatool,

Okay, and is there something wrong with that? I think their decision
to drop the Nova 3000 is, in a word, "stupid," for the reasons I have
enumerated ad nauseum. All good business reason, I might add, not
because of any vendetta, ill will or any other sophomoric ploy.

which I believe to be an excellent company.

That's your prerogative...and not one that I would publicly criticize
you for. Others may not share your views. I am ambivalent about
them, personally.

I have e-mailed Roger Latimer of Teknatool requesting information about the Nova 3000.
If it is in fact being discontinued, I'll also post an apology on that item
also.

Mmmm, you do that. Because heaven knows, since I'm NOT a dealer in
Stubby lathes, I _must_ have some other, more devious ulterior motive
for making stuff up about it, right?

I don't quite get the statement: "the pot calling the kettle black". If this is
the feeling of this newsgroup, then I apologize to the group. Never, have I ever
intentionally done anything underhanded to promote my business, nor do I ever
plan to do so.

I didn't say you were underhanded. Nor would I ever say that you were
a "master of self-promotion." Let us just say that your view and my
view of using newsgroups for advertising don't always seem to agree.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Fred Holder

Roger Latimer of Teknatool got back to me today. I apologize, you are right.
They are currently discontinuing deliveries of the Nova 3000 to the North
American market, because an increase in motor price would have significantly
increased the cost of the lathe, which was already experiencing decreasing sales
since the introduction of the DVR. They do have another lathe model in the
design phase; however, it will not be available until 2006 or 2007.

I apoligize to the group for even getting involved in this discussion; however,
I felt that Chuck was bad mouthing a manufacturer that I think quite highly of
and have used their products for almost 15 years. I guess I will continue to
stick up for companies that I feel are getting a bum rap.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Chuck says...

wrote:

[...]

Lobby Dosser

Fred Holder wrote:

Roger Latimer of Teknatool got back to me today. I apologize, you are
right. They are currently discontinuing deliveries of the Nova 3000 to
the North American market, because an increase in motor price would
have significantly increased the cost of the lathe, which was already
experiencing decreasing sales since the introduction of the DVR. They
do have another lathe model in the design phase; however, it will not
be available until 2006 or 2007.

Any other Clues? Big, Midi, Mini?

I apoligize to the group for even getting involved in this discussion;

Why, looks like you've provided the first verified info.

jan.k

It will still be a good lathe for years to come.

What ever wears out on the
head are easy replaced ,the only thing which will wear out are the bearings
,and they are standard. All the other parts are standard DVR parts.

Long live the Nova 3K.

Been using the 3k for seven years now full time making
..porch posts ,large newals.any thing big or long jobs .other woodturners
couldn't handle. It's still on its orginal belt ,but holding on by 4
threads.
Made a wine bottle for a for furniture designer 16" dia by 5 foot long
and the belts still in one piece .

.. Look forward to seeing what Teknatool are designing for
the furture in lathes,roll on 2006.

Jan.K

wrote:

[...]

=----

George

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

I apoligize to the group for even getting involved in this discussion;

Why, looks like you've provided the first verified info.

Read the posts, not the poster. Fred merely confirmed what was said from
_his_ source.

Chuck

On 18 Jul 2005 18:36:41 -0700, Fred Holder
wrote:

Roger Latimer of Teknatool got back to me today. I apologize, you are right.

Accepted -- since apparently the word of other employees of Teknatool
isn't trustworthy in your eyes.

I apoligize to the group for even getting involved in this discussion; however,
I felt that Chuck was bad mouthing a manufacturer that I think quite highly of

No you did not!

You accused me of making it all up and using it to sell Stubby
lathes!!! Your post didn't say a thing in their "defense" but was
100% an attack on me and a free interpretation of what you percevied
my posting to be about. Let's keep our stories straight here, shall
we. Don't try to shove this into _my_ lap, it's _your_ screw-up,
not my imaginary "attack," that started all this grief.

And even if it were true, that you were riding in on your steed to
defend them, I'm not sure what "bad mouthing" is in your book, Fred,
but I think _I_ suffered quite a bit more of it at _your_ hands than
anything that could possibly have been construed from my postings
about Teknatool. On the contrary, my post was expressing my quite
genuine disapointment of the fact that they were discontinuing one of
their products, which I had aspired to purchase, in favor of
concentrating on a higher-priced model. If I were inclined to "bad
mouth" them, why would I say that I was "disappointed" at the decision
to remove one of their products from the market???

You, on the other hand, accused me of being a devious, underhanded,
liar. That, my friend, is "bad mouthing."

and have used their products for almost 15 years.

The first accessory I purchased after purshasing my first lathe was a
SuperNova chuck.

I guess I will continue to
stick up for companies that I feel are getting a bum rap.

Please, demonstrate the "bum rap" that I gave them. In the words of
Ross Perot, "I'm all ears."

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Chuck

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:05:27 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

I apoligize to the group for even getting involved in this discussion;

Why, looks like you've provided the first verified info.

In my initial posting and in a followup to another question about it,
I said that I had emailed Teknatool and the representative had told me
that it was discontinued. Just because I didn't post the rep's name
doesn't mean it's not "verified."

Maybe your browser didn't pick up those messages.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Chuck

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:35:50 +1200, "jan.k"
wrote:

It will still be a good lathe for years to come.

What ever wears out on the
head are easy replaced ,the only thing which will wear out are the bearings
,and they are standard. All the other parts are standard DVR parts.

Long live the Nova 3K.

Which is why I wanted to get one in the first place. The same rep who
told me it was being dropped also gave me the name of someone I can
contact who sells reconditioned ones, which I am going to utilize in
the (hopefully) near future.