DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   turning jewelry beads (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/111813-turning-jewelry-beads.html)

MARGRET HUNTRESS July 8th 05 07:52 PM

turning jewelry beads

My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

Tom

Dave in Fairfax July 8th 05 09:02 PM

Tom wrote:
My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

1mm? Wear a jeweler's loupe. How'd you plan to hold the spindle? Oh
yeah, light cuts.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Derek Andrews July 8th 05 10:48 PM

MARGRET HUNTRESS wrote:
My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

I hope you mean 1cm!

I made some a while back. I turned a dowel between centers, small enough
to fit in the 1" jaws and through the headstock. Then with about an inch
protruding, face off and drill a hole the length of the intended bead.
Then turn the bead and part off with the skew. Sand the parted end as
necessary.

Before you start, clean up all the shavings under the lathe or you stand
a good chance of loosing most of these fiddly little blighters.

I oiled and buffed them off the lathe by threading them on to a
straightened out paper clip with just the ends bent up to keep the beads
on. This made them reasonably convenient to handle.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Chuck July 9th 05 02:16 AM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:52:10 GMT, "MARGRET HUNTRESS"
wrote:

My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

Funny enough, my wife just asked me to turn some beads for her. I'm
using offcuts from pen blanks and things like that. Nothing as small
as 1mm, though. That's a mighty tiny bead. Probably take a #60 drill
for the holes, I'd imagine. I'm wondering, though, that at 1mm you'll
even be able to tell that they're cocobolo. The hardest part for me
is holding the bead after I part it off, so I can sand the end that
was toward the headstock. I sometimes use the bit itself, but more
often than not, the bead slips on it. Maybe a dowel or piece of drill
stock sanded to size is in order.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

George H Hughes July 9th 05 02:43 AM

Hope this helps a little.....

Step 1. Replace sister-in-law!
Step 2. Go to fridge and get a beer!

New project......
George

Peter Hyde July 9th 05 05:48 AM

Tom wrote:
My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

Forget turning them instead use your belt sander. You build a box that
will sit over the belt and then toss in some small cubes of wood, turn
it on and go for a beer. When you come back the cubes will be small
perfect spheres. Or so I've been told :-)

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/

mac davis July 9th 05 05:13 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:43:50 -0400, "George H Hughes" wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier and more time efficient to just have a beer while ordering
beads on the web??

Hell, those kids in China are going to go blind whether you buy their stuff or
not.. *eg*

Hope this helps a little.....

Step 1. Replace sister-in-law!
Step 2. Go to fridge and get a beer!

New project......
George

"MARGRET HUNTRESS" wrote in message
My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

Tom

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Derek Andrews July 10th 05 10:45 PM

Peter Hyde wrote:
Forget turning them instead use your belt sander. You build a box that
will sit over the belt and then toss in some small cubes of wood, turn
it on and go for a beer. When you come back the cubes will be small
perfect spheres. Or so I've been told :-)

Or your could go for 6 beer and make really small beads:) You may need
to sober up before trying to drill the holes.

Chuck July 11th 05 06:08 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:48:10 GMT, Derek Andrews
wrote:

MARGRET HUNTRESS wrote:
My sister-in-law makes jewelry and loves cocobolo. She has asked me if I
could turn some small beads for necklaces. The beads need to be no larger
than 1mm, and must have a hole drilled in them for the necklace filament.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I start? Any help would be
appreciated.

I hope you mean 1cm!

So Tom,

Did you, in fact mean one centimeter or one milimeter?

[email protected] July 15th 05 02:28 AM

Try http://www.bearwood.com/ They have scads of beads from 6mm up @ 3
C$ /100 or 2.19 US$ /100.