Doug Miller

In article 36, Patriarch wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
m:

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

In the backyard of a house owned by my wife's sister is a black
walnut, 50+ years old. Maybe 54" diameter at breast height.

54" DIAMETER??????????

Surely you mean circumference.

Certainly not circumference. It's perhaps a little smaller than 54"
diameter, but huge. It's going to take a good sized cherry picker and boom
truck to get the top down, and there's storm damage up there, 35' or higher
in the crown.

It is a _very_ large tree, particularly for suburban California. Maybe I
can get some pictures this week.

Get a picture with a person standing next to the tree. I'd like to see that.

--
Regards,

George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
Get a picture with a person standing next to the tree. I'd like to see

that.

Doug, it is NOT that unusual to have black walnut trees over 4' in diameter
out in CA. Used to travel up from YC to Corning to The Olive Pit for of
course, olives, and passed literally hundreds.

Ken Moon

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:09:46 -0400, "George" wrote:
SNIP

you know, I tried ripping them, after watching Bill's DVD.. I spent more
time
clearing those LONG shavings out of the saw then I did cutting...
I stand them up to cut the blanks now..

=================
Mac,
If you don't have a rip chain, you'd be doing yourself a favor by buying
one or making one for yourself. They're a skip tooth thingy and don't load
up like the regular chain. You can make one by taking every other cutting
link out of a regular chain and replacing with a spacer link. There's a
place hat makes a chain saw mill (think the name of the company is Granville
or something similar; Google it) and they have a chain for use with their
mill attachment that is specifically for ripping.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Ken Moon

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
George wrote:
Sorry, you won't convince the medic who's seen it. I imagine our cutters
are "professionals," too.
Though I hope you never do, once would be enough to convince you to put
your
foot in that conveniently-shaped handle.

I'm afraid I've gotta agree with you on this one, George, and for the
same reasons. I worked ER for WAAAAYYY too many years to be comfortable
with doing the "drop and pray" technique. They also rotate sometimes
and that blade can return in unexpected areas. Yup, that area. MAJOR
femoral bleed, aside from the incident considerations.

=================
With a major femoral rupture, you don't need to wory about EMT's. You'll
probably be gone before they can get to you.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
With a major femoral rupture, you don't need to wory about EMT's. You'll
probably be gone before they can get to you.

Right, good reason to avoid them. The problem is bystanders. they tend
to try to help. Tying off the wound, giving ineffective CPR, helpful
stuff like that. Just because the person is dead or dying doesn't mean
that they don't get taken to the ER. That's one of the reason they call
it hamburger. I've had a guy brought it who ate a shotgun. We had to
do CPR with a tube to the bag because it took off the front of his
face. Messy doesn't get you out of having to make the effort. My
favorite was the biker who got caught in bed with the karate
instrructors gf. He jumped out of the bed, grabbed a knife and got
kicked in the head. We had him on life suppt until his brains leaked
out his ears because the family wouldn't believ that he wouldn't "wake
up".
It doesn't matter. Some people are going to drop start chainsaws, some
are going to ride donorcycles. We all do what we want to... or not.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Arch

Yep Dave, "We all do what we want to" in this transitory life. Smoking
cigarets while drop starting chain saws can be the long or short of
ending it.

Inhale wood dust instead of tobacco smoke, the odds are better. It's a
fact, not a flame, but I respect any turner's right to do both....or
neither.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Harry Pye

Inhale wood dust instead of tobacco smoke, the odds are better. It's a
fact, not a flame, but I respect any turner's right to do both....or
neither.

We had a saying at work, "He is over twenty-one." Meaning, of course
that the person was responsible for his acts. But...we have the
responsibility to warn them of dangerous or stupid acts.
mac davis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:33:39 +1000, "Andy McArdle"
wrote:

Pounding the pulpit in ,
mac davis did expound thusly:

Any chance of some pix, or the URL to "Darrell's page?"

My back will love you forever. Well, until it comes time to unload...
O:-)

Sorry, Andy.. Because Darrell is one of my heros, I tend to think that
everyone knows about his page... it's a great place to spend an hour or
3...

http://aroundthewoods.com/firewood.shtml

Thanks, Mac, one look at the pix on the opening page and I knew I'll also be
spending quite some time there in the near future.

I was a tad disappointed in the sawbuck though, for some reason I got the
impression 'twas a "self-loader" which is what I'd really like, for lifting
those logs that my eyes say go but my back says no. My fault for
mis-reading what you said. [shrug]

I /think/ I can see a way to modify it though... or maybe not. I'll post
new msg and ask for feedback. I'd rather not prototype it and discover
serious design flaws by losing a foot or something!

I think what you read was that mine was kind of self loading.. I modified the
height so that it wedged against the bottom of the truck tail gate.. that way I
can roll one from the truck to the saw buck, then deal with the lifting part
when the log is cut into smaller pieces..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:09:49 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

that's way too sophisticated for me, Ken...
the only time we change a chain is when it's shot.. and then probably waiting
too long to replace them..

OTOH, since I cut the logs in the forest and the blanks at home, I might get a
rip chain for one of the electric ones at home..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leif Thorvaldson

wrote:

[...]

=====Mac: So what type of self loader do you have for getting the wood
logs in the truck to begin with? *G*

Leif

Andy McArdle

I was a tad disappointed in the sawbuck though, for some reason I got
the impression 'twas a "self-loader" which is what I'd really like, for
lifting those logs that my eyes say go but my back says no. My fault
for mis-reading what you said. [shrug]

[snip]
I think what you read was that mine was kind of self loading.. I
modified the height so that it wedged against the bottom of the truck
tail gate.. that way I can roll one from the truck to the saw buck, then
deal with the lifting part when the log is cut into smaller pieces..

Even that's too much work for my taste, I chunk down as close as possible to
the orig. site so the only lifting involved is (un)loading the ute.

Unless, of course, I can find a dupe^H^H^Hassistant for the day.

--
- Andy
I can see the light! Damn, another bowl ruined.

mac davis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:57:18 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

you haven't been reading my earlier posts, Leif... *g*

I usually clear the brush and run the saw, my wife loads the truck... (and earns
weight-watchers points for the exercise!)

We usually go wood hunting every saturday, then she takes the other truck to
work during the week, so that I can unload the truck over 2 or 3 days, one log
at a time as they're being cut into blanks..

Sorta cool partnership.. she helps "start" the bowls by loading the truck, and
then does most of the staining/finishing when they come off the lathe..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Leif Thorvaldson

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:57:18 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

====Hang onto that lady, Mac!!!! So all you have to do is convince her
that she looks like she is getting fat and she goes out and makes like a
two-legged self-loader!!*G*
I probably missed your other posts, or couldn't read them too well through
the tears after my abasement regarding use of the dropstart technique for a
chainsaw! 8^(

Leif

Lobby Dosser

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

====Hang onto that lady, Mac!!!! So all you have to do is convince
her that she looks like she is getting fat and she goes out and makes
like a two-legged self-loader!!*G*

Seems like risking your back is a lot less than risking your Life! )

I probably missed your other posts, or couldn't read them too well
through the tears after my abasement regarding use of the dropstart
technique for a chainsaw! 8^(

How will you live with the Shame?!

Leif Thorvaldson

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

====Hang onto that lady, Mac!!!! So all you have to do is convince
her that she looks like she is getting fat and she goes out and makes
like a two-legged self-loader!!*G*

Seems like risking your back is a lot less than risking your Life! )

I probably missed your other posts, or couldn't read them too well
through the tears after my abasement regarding use of the dropstart
technique for a chainsaw! 8^(

How will you live with the Shame?!

=====I have entered a long period of omphaloscopy as penance. It makes it
difficult to read my emails, but I have lined up two mirrors to view the
screen and I am a touch typist so I can respond to posts. Do not worry
about me, it is right and proper what I am doing to make up for leading a
rec. member on a path of dismemberment! Ommmmm! As to living with the
shame, after my period of omphaloscopy, I will continue to dropstart my
chainsaw and perhaps that will end my miserable existence!*G*

Leif

Ken Moon

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

SNIP ..........

, I will continue to dropstart my
chainsaw and perhaps that will end my miserable existence!*G*

Leif

================
Or possibily make it more miserable {:-(

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Dave in Fairfax

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
=====I have entered a long period of omphaloscopy as penance. It makes it
difficult to read my emails, but I have lined up two mirrors to view the
screen and I am a touch typist so I can respond to posts. Do not worry
about me, it is right and proper what I am doing to make up for leading a
rec. member on a path of dismemberment! Ommmmm! As to living with the
shame, after my period of omphaloscopy, I will continue to dropstart my
chainsaw and perhaps that will end my miserable existence!*G*

Trouble not your mind Leif, all is forgiven. I too, have made poor
choices in the past, although I can't remember any off-hand.
Halfsheimers, ya know. 'Sides, I'm not boound by the suggestions of
others, and as any who know me will tell you, I pretty much do what I
want. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org

mac davis

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:36:46 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

[...]

she's a very cool lady....
Until about August of last year, I was mostly a flat work kinda guy...
She saw a couple of things that I'd turned on the shopsmith and really liked
the, and the ball started rolling!
She bought me the Jet mini for Christmas last year, talked me into getting the
Jet 1442 last month.... brings home wood to turn and got the firewood permit for
the local forest because she thought that we should have lots of wood to turn..
*g*
Oh.. and she knows that I have trouble spending money on myself, so she finds
out what chisels and stuff I lust after and orders them.. she's definitely a
keeper!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:15:20 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

====Hang onto that lady, Mac!!!! So all you have to do is convince
her that she looks like she is getting fat and she goes out and makes
like a two-legged self-loader!!*G*

Seems like risking your back is a lot less than risking your Life! )

good point, LD, I missed that part of Leif's post...
She was on the diet before we started going wood hunting, and losing weight was
her idea..
This being my 3rd marriage, I know enough to have a coughing fit or get
distracted by something when the dreaded "does this make me look fat" question
comes up.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Harry Pye

She bought me the Jet mini for Christmas last year, talked me into getting the
Jet 1442 last month.... brings home wood to turn and got the firewood permit for
the local forest because she thought that we should have lots of wood to turn..
Oh.. and she knows that I have trouble spending money on myself, so she finds
out what chisels and stuff I lust after and orders them.. she's definitely a
keeper!

Does she have a sister?
mac davis

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:40:16 -0400, Harry Pye wrote:

She bought me the Jet mini for Christmas last year, talked me into getting the
Jet 1442 last month.... brings home wood to turn and got the firewood permit for
the local forest because she thought that we should have lots of wood to turn..
Oh.. and she knows that I have trouble spending money on myself, so she finds
out what chisels and stuff I lust after and orders them.. she's definitely a
keeper!

Does she have a sister?

nah. just a brother that sells real estate in Honduras... and he's never sent us
any wood... *grrrrr*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:14:06 -0400, ahd@usenet. wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:38:20 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

This being my 3rd marriage, I know enough to have a coughing fit or get
distracted by something when the dreaded "does this make me look fat" question
comes up.. *g*

Better watch those coughing fits or she'll hide your smokes on you :-)

ahd

yeah.. I learned (after my first divorce) that one of the many wrong answers is
"no, your ass was fat before you put that on"...

Electric Bill Dave UK diy 7 February 18th 05 10:54 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
British Gas Bill cheek Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 December 6th 04 10:10 PM
Bowl Turning DVD by Bill Grumbine WoodMangler Woodturning 9 December 6th 04 08:10 PM
OT- Bill Gates Speech Marv Soloff Metalworking 12 December 22nd 03 12:19 PM