DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need info on lathe - Gerry's Tool Wood copy lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/109642-need-info-lathe-gerrys-tool-wood-copy-lathe.html)

David C. Stone June 11th 05 03:28 PM

Need info on lathe - Gerry's Tool Wood copy lathe

Just took possession of a lathe. The maker's plate says
"Gerry's Tool Wood copy lathe Model NCL-1000".
Anyone know anything about this lathe? It came with a
book on turning by Richard Raffan, but no user's manual.

Thanks!

Mike Beede June 11th 05 05:04 PM

In article ,
"David C. Stone" wrote:

Just took possession of a lathe. The maker's plate says
"Gerry's Tool Wood copy lathe Model NCL-1000".
Anyone know anything about this lathe? It came with a
book on turning by Richard Raffan, but no user's manual.

Until someone that knows something turns up, I'll mention
that I found some hits on Google for a lathe called
an NCL-1000 made by Mori-Seiki. Here's a shop that
mentions having one:

http://graetzmfg.com/content/machine/

If worst comes to worst, maybe they could make you a copy
of their manual, if you asked nice. They could probably
at least shoot you a picture so you could decide if it was
the same unit.

Here's Mori-Seiki's page.

http://www.moriseiki.co.jp/english/index.html

It's also possible that the identical model numbers are
just a coincidence. Good luck on that. Some day I hope
to try some turning myself. Till then, I enjoy learning
a few things on the group.

Mike Beede

David C. Stone June 13th 05 02:32 PM

In article , Mike
Beede wrote:

In article ,
"David C. Stone" wrote:

Just took possession of a lathe. The maker's plate says
"Gerry's Tool Wood copy lathe Model NCL-1000".
Anyone know anything about this lathe? It came with a
book on turning by Richard Raffan, but no user's manual.

[snip]

Here's Mori-Seiki's page.

http://www.moriseiki.co.jp/english/index.html

It's also possible that the identical model numbers are
just a coincidence. Good luck on that. Some day I hope
to try some turning myself. Till then, I enjoy learning
a few things on the group.

Looks like the match is just a coincidence. The label on the bottom
says "Made in Taiwan", so I woudn't doubt that "Gerry's Tools" was
simply an importer. Also says that the lathe was built in 1985, so I
doubt I'll find much current info on it.

I still intend to have some fun with it, though!