DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   home made lathe tools (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/104570-home-made-lathe-tools.html)

Rick Cox April 28th 05 04:24 PM

home made lathe tools

I am new to turning and i REALLY enjoy it.
I am noticing the scrapers that use interchangeable tips. I was wondering
if the chisels that come with the craftsman molding cutter (3 identical
blades) could be used as scrapers.
I have a molding set with quite a few sets of chisels that I will never use
for the intended purpose.+

Has anyone tried this?

Owen Lowe April 28th 05 09:18 PM

In article ,
"Rick Cox" wrote:

I am new to turning and i REALLY enjoy it.
I am noticing the scrapers that use interchangeable tips. I was wondering
if the chisels that come with the craftsman molding cutter (3 identical
blades) could be used as scrapers.
I have a molding set with quite a few sets of chisels that I will never use
for the intended purpose.+

Has anyone tried this?

I have not, but don't see any reason it wouldn't work just fine... as
long as you have a pretty beefy bar to which the cutters are attached,
since the cutters are not that thick (3/16"?). I just may have to give
them a try myself - an added plus is that the non-profiled blanks are
pretty inexpensive and you could profile them to your needs - as in
spear point, square, round left, round right.

mac davis April 29th 05 04:18 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:24:17 GMT, "Rick Cox" wrote:

I am new to turning and i REALLY enjoy it.
I am noticing the scrapers that use interchangeable tips. I was wondering
if the chisels that come with the craftsman molding cutter (3 identical
blades) could be used as scrapers.
I have a molding set with quite a few sets of chisels that I will never use
for the intended purpose.+

Has anyone tried this?

check out Ken Vaughn's experience with that..
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/scraper_sample.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...per_cutter.jpg

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Rick Cox April 29th 05 05:26 PM

Thanks,
that is exactly what I was thinking.
I was at sears today and noticed that the profiles were between 3 and 12
dollars for 3.

m...

Dan Bollinger April 29th 05 08:34 PM

I am new to turning and i REALLY enjoy it.
I am noticing the scrapers that use interchangeable tips. I was wondering
if the chisels that come with the craftsman molding cutter (3 identical
blades) could be used as scrapers.
I have a molding set with quite a few sets of chisels that I will never

use
for the intended purpose.+

Has anyone tried this?

Rich, I have and they work just fine. I made a tool handle from 3/8" x 1"
steel bar. I attached split wood handles, much in the same manner as you
would on a knife. A screw of the proper size secures the Craftsman cutter.
I milled a shallow pocket to keep it in place. I've even made new shapes
from tool steel that I use on this tool and on the molding cutter. Dan