DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vertlathe inventor George Devine (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/101584-vertlathe-inventor-george-devine.html)

Mike Devine April 4th 05 09:38 PM

Vertlathe inventor George Devine

Hello Woodturners:

Just letting you all know that my father, George Devine, who used to
frequently post to this newsgroup died last Wednesday, March 30th. He was
88. He enjoyed wood working and wood turning (with his Vertilathe, of
course) and also enjoyed reading the posts here and posting an occasional
message (sometimes somewhat spammy!). He was proud of his invention and
it's still being manufactured here in Kingston, NY and sold online by
various dealers.

So, woodturners, happy turning!

Mike Devine

Owen Lowe April 4th 05 09:57 PM

I send my condolences Mike. Every now and then I am reminded of your
dad's invention when folks post messages (over on rec.woodworking) about
needing a lathe but not wanting to jump in with both feet. I used to
reply with the subject heading, "George Devine, Calling George Devine."
Usually he'd spot the message and reply. Always brought a smile... he'll
be missed.

Leo Lichtman April 5th 05 01:48 AM

My condolences, as well. Is the Vertilathe a drillpress
conversion/attachment?

Owen Lowe April 5th 05 06:47 AM

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

My condolences, as well. Is the Vertilathe a drillpress
conversion/attachment?

Right, Leo. Converted your drill press into a vertical lathe -
Vertilathe, get it? ;)

Wouldn't be very practical for much of what we do here, but for the
occassional knobs - or maybe even pens - it would likely be just fine.

Woodcut tools 2000 Ltd sales April 6th 05 03:31 AM

88 is a good age, sound like your dad was a great chap and will be sadly
missed.

One of the sad sides of this industry is the good freinds we lose every
year.

God Bless
Ken
--