Joe

Default Yates American J170

I just purchased a J-170 that sat outside for a year. She's pretty
ragged, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to restore it and get it
operational for my home shop.
My question is about the motor. It has an original (functioning) 1HP
3-phase motor. I'm not sure whether to replace it with a new single
phase motor or just get a phase converter and use as is. I'd appreciate
any input and or pro's/con's to either idea.

Also, the toolrest banjo has what appears to be a cam type locking
mechanism to tighten it to the table. The shaft is not supported at the
back end and dangles free. Is it supposed to be that way or is it
missing something that should hold it captive?
Right now it is very bound and will not move or fit the table, so I
can't check it out.

Thanks,
Joe
Ken Moon

"Joe" wrote in message
k.net...
I just purchased a J-170 that sat outside for a year. She's pretty ragged,
but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to restore it and get it operational
for my home shop.
My question is about the motor. It has an original (functioning) 1HP
3-phase motor. I'm not sure whether to replace it with a new single phase
motor or just get a phase converter and use as is. I'd appreciate any
input and or pro's/con's to either idea.

Also, the toolrest banjo has what appears to be a cam type locking
mechanism to tighten it to the table. The shaft is not supported at the
back end and dangles free. Is it supposed to be that way or is it missing
something that should hold it captive?
Right now it is very bound and will not move or fit the table, so I can't
check it out.

Thanks,
Joe

========================
Joe,
The 3 phase motor can be used with a variable frequency converter to get a
variable speed drive. That will be pricy, so it depends on how much you
value variable speed.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

George

"Joe" wrote in message
k.net...
I just purchased a J-170 that sat outside for a year. She's pretty
ragged, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to restore it and get it
operational for my home shop.
My question is about the motor. It has an original (functioning) 1HP
3-phase motor. I'm not sure whether to replace it with a new single
phase motor or just get a phase converter and use as is. I'd appreciate
any input and or pro's/con's to either idea.

Also, the toolrest banjo has what appears to be a cam type locking
mechanism to tighten it to the table. The shaft is not supported at the
back end and dangles free. Is it supposed to be that way or is it
missing something that should hold it captive?
Right now it is very bound and will not move or fit the table, so I
can't check it out.

Converter's good. IIRC, the banjo is the same as the Delta, so the far end
of the shaft should have a bushing to center it in the cast piece. Used
copper tubing at the school. Wasn't a perfect fit, but worked, and is
working for about the seventh year.

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT - Groundhog Day Cliff Metalworking 59 February 10th 05 05:19 AM
Revocation of American Independence Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 2 December 22nd 04 09:14 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
First American Home Buyers Protection Plan - BEWARE! C-surfr Home Ownership 2 March 12th 04 01:01 PM