DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vicmarc chuck not fitting on general lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/101429-vicmarc-chuck-not-fitting-general-lathe.html)

Reyd April 3rd 05 05:28 PM

Vicmarc chuck not fitting on general lathe

I am using a vicmarc chuck at the moment for work, it came off the
general at work, and has fit on my general before, now it is refusing to
engage and go all the way on, so I can't work till I fix it, any
sugestions
they are both 1x8's and it should fit, the threads are all clean.

--
All they do is slap some lipstick on and try to
pretend it's not a pig.

this couple is gets attacked by... uh... *grabs lamp*
a lamp monster! *waves lamp around* Woooooooooo!"

-Delta Nine

George April 3rd 05 10:42 PM

"Reyd" wrote in message
I am using a vicmarc chuck at the moment for work, it came off the
general at work, and has fit on my general before, now it is refusing to
engage and go all the way on, so I can't work till I fix it, any
sugestions
they are both 1x8's and it should fit, the threads are all clean.

--

Depth of thread/length of shaft disparity? Might also check for an
unthreaded portion on your shaft right up near the bearing. For reasons

Workaround is a precision washer or bushing to take up the slack.

robo hippy April 3rd 05 10:44 PM

Reyd,
I have a couple of Vicmarcs, and have run into this problem a couple of
times. It has always been chips and/or other crap on the threads,
either on the head stock, or the chuck. Sometimes I can't see any junk,
but blowing out with the air hose, and/or using a wire brush usually do
the trick. If the chuck starts on ok and bogs down before it is tight.
then there is something on the threads, even if you can't see it
robo hippy

Owen Lowe April 4th 05 10:28 AM

In article ,
Reyd wrote:

I am using a vicmarc chuck at the moment for work, it came off the
general at work, and has fit on my general before, now it is refusing to
engage and go all the way on, so I can't work till I fix it, any
sugestions
they are both 1x8's and it should fit, the threads are all clean.

Are you sure a drive center isn't in the taper? (I have a small drive
that will fit inside my Vicmarc threads but I can seat the chuck all the
way on anyway - maybe if you have one in the taper it's stopping the
chuck from seating.)