DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chipboard grades (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9954-chipboard-grades.html)

Arthur July 10th 04 07:28 PM

Chipboard grades

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

thanks.

Arthur

Rick Dipper July 10th 04 11:08 PM

Chipboard grades

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:28:51 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

thanks.

Arthur

The T&G stops the drafts comming throught the gaps, the green cloating
makes it sort of water restistant.

I have used normal chipboard to fill in odd shaped holes in
floorboards where some itiot has cut a patchowrk out for new wireng.

Use the proper green stuff in wet rooms, even then don't get it wet ..

Rick

zaax July 11th 04 01:22 AM

Chipboard grades

In article , Arthur
writes
I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

Builders don't even do that
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

The Natural Philosopher July 11th 04 08:33 AM

Chipboard grades

Arthur wrote:

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

need to be at least 15, preferably 18mm.

thanks.

Arthur

The Natural Philosopher July 11th 04 08:34 AM

Chipboard grades

zaax wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

Builders don't even do that

They do. Oh. You mean they leave joints hanging - yes. Ive sen that.

Mungo Henning July 11th 04 09:45 AM

Chipboard grades

zaax wrote in message ...
In article , Arthur
writes
I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

Builders don't even do that

There are *lots* of things that builders dont do on other people's properties
that they would do on their own.
Cutting the lengths so that joints are on top of joists is, IMHO, a good thing.

Similarly with wiring- I try and install three-core-plus-earth in lighting
circuits because it can make life so easy when you need to change the
switching arrangement.

Adding in isolation valves in plumbing can be a godsend too.

There is (of course) a limit to these "contingency" items, but taking a little
extra time to ensure that the joints are over joists is very worthwhile in
my book.

Mungo

N. Thornton July 12th 04 01:00 AM

Chipboard grades

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Arthur wrote:

I have 8' x 4' sheet of ordinary chipboard.
I presume thats its not wet treated and does not have T/G edges.
Is it good enough to use as flooring if I cut it so the ends lay on the
joists?

need to be at least 15, preferably 18mm.

seen quarter inch ply used once: the floor bent badly as you walked
over it :) Some folk eh!

Regards, NT