DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Coping stones & Mortar mix (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9945-coping-stones-mortar-mix.html)

Arthur July 9th 04 09:06 PM

Coping stones & Mortar mix

Hi all.
I have to reset some of the heavy coping stones on the low wall
outside of my mid-terrace (10" wide and 9" high)
What sand to use and ratio to mortar will I use?
And any particular technique I should use?

Thanks

Arthur

Michael Mcneil July 10th 04 11:52 AM

Coping stones & Mortar mix

"Arthur" wrote in message

Hi all.
I have to reset some of the heavy coping stones on the low wall
outside of my mid-terrace (10" wide and 9" high)
What sand to use and ratio to mortar will I use?
And any particular technique I should use?

Betweev 4 and 6 to one will be fine. Get the same coloured sand as used
in ye walle.

Rick Hughes July 10th 04 11:58 AM

Coping stones & Mortar mix

1 part cement 4 parts sand ......... use plasticiser in mix if you have it
(or add some fairy liquid to the water - lowers surface tension and entrains
air)

I would suggest wire brushing well before hand and damp down surface and
mating face of coping with a mix of unibond & water.

Rick

Andrew Gabriel July 10th 04 03:59 PM

Coping stones & Mortar mix

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
1 part cement 4 parts sand ......... use plasticiser in mix if you have it
(or add some fairy liquid to the water - lowers surface tension and entrains
air)

I would suggest wire brushing well before hand and damp down surface and
mating face of coping with a mix of unibond & water.

Mix a little Unibond PVA into the mortar mix too for the coping
stones (or top line of bricks on a wall), which will add a little
tensile strength to the mortar and make it harder to simply lift
the stones off.

--
Andrew Gabriel