DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood table, drinks rings (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/99431-wood-table-drinks-rings.html)

mike. buckley April 1st 05 09:20 AM

Wood table, drinks rings

We recently bought a smart wood table, I'm not clued up enough to know
what wood it is, but it's light in colour, looks a little bit like
walnut but without the masses of knots. It's finished with some kind of
wax, which unfortunately has turned a shade lighter where drinks have
been spilled, and there are one or two obvious mug rings on it :-(

What's the best way to remove the rings? It looks like the wax (or
whatever it is) has discoloured, so adding more wax doesn't look like an
option.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2

Andy Dingley April 1st 05 04:48 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:20:36 +0100, "mike. buckley" wrote:

What's the best way to remove the rings?

The _best_ way involves having someone knowledgeable actually see it.

The most likely way to not foul up involves a dose of Liberon's Ring Remover. This will either make things appreciably
better, or you'll need to find out just what the finish is before proceeding further.

The quickest way is to rub it with mayonnaise. Yes, Hellman's.

(Do not buy your Ring Remover from the Rupali curry house of Newcastle. It's not the same thing at all)

Lee Derbyshire April 1st 05 04:58 PM

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
We recently bought a smart wood table, I'm not clued up enough to know
what wood it is, but it's light in colour, looks a little bit like walnut
but without the masses of knots. It's finished with some kind of wax,
which unfortunately has turned a shade lighter where drinks have been
spilled, and there are one or two obvious mug rings on it :-(

What's the best way to remove the rings? It looks like the wax (or
whatever it is) has discoloured, so adding more wax doesn't look like an
option.

I've successfully used T-Cut to remove these things. Try an unseen bit of
wood first, though.

Lee.

Andy Dingley April 1st 05 07:03 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:58:52 +0100, "Lee Derbyshire" email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m wrote:

I've successfully used T-Cut to remove these things.

Depends on the finish - T-cut has uses on hard finishes with surface damage, but it's no help for oil or wax and it's
damaging to shellac.

Lee Derbyshire April 1st 05 08:09 PM

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:58:52 +0100, "Lee Derbyshire" email a@t
leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m wrote:

I've successfully used T-Cut to remove these things.

Depends on the finish - T-cut has uses on hard finishes with surface
damage, but it's no help for oil or wax and it's
damaging to shellac.

Oops, yes - I forgot about the wax, and immediately thought of varnish when
I saw the word 'rings'.

The Natural Philosopher April 2nd 05 12:42 AM

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:20:36 +0100, "mike. buckley" wrote:

What's the best way to remove the rings?

The _best_ way involves having someone knowledgeable actually see it.

The most likely way to not foul up involves a dose of Liberon's Ring Remover. This will either make things appreciably
better, or you'll need to find out just what the finish is before proceeding further.

The quickest way is to rub it with mayonnaise. Yes, Hellman's.

(Do not buy your Ring Remover from the Rupali curry house of Newcastle. It's not the same thing at all)

My wife has good results rubbing brazil or walnut kernels over em.