antgel

Default Timber floor over concrete

Hi all,

The floor in my flat is currently awful carpet, on awful ply "slabs",
on battens, on concrete. I was pondering fitting carpet or laminate.
But it just occured to me that it might be possible to fit "real"
floorboards on top of the existing battens. Is this likely to cost
much more (or less) than carpet or laminate? Is it even possible?

Antony

Andy Hall

On 28 Mar 2005 15:58:06 -0800, "antgel" wrote:

Hi all,

The floor in my flat is currently awful carpet, on awful ply "slabs",
on battens, on concrete. I was pondering fitting carpet or laminate.
But it just occured to me that it might be possible to fit "real"
floorboards on top of the existing battens. Is this likely to cost
much more (or less) than carpet or laminate? Is it even possible?

Antony

Definitely.

Laminate is the semilla del diablo of the flooring world, and carpet
is only marginally better.

A proper hardwood floor can be purchased for about £25/sq. m.
(sometimes less) which is not significantly more than the cost of a
good quality carpet plus underlay.

You can either fit it directly to the battens using secret nailing, or
you could do a floating floor on top of the ply using a special
underlay.

Finish can be in oil, oil/wax or if you must, varnish.

If well done, which is not very difficult if you rent a chop saw and a
flooring nailer, it will look superb.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
antgel

Interesting - very interesting. There is no way that I'd float it on
the ply. The ply must go, if I put anything nice down. Care to
recommend any suppliers? Preferably in London - I'd like to go there
and take a look at the actual product.

Andy Hall

On 28 Mar 2005 16:54:48 -0800, "antgel" wrote:

Interesting - very interesting. There is no way that I'd float it on
the ply. The ply must go, if I put anything nice down. Care to
recommend any suppliers? Preferably in London - I'd like to go there
and take a look at the actual product.

have a look back through the archives of this group in Google Groups.

I am pretty sure when we had this topic a few months ago that there
were some recommended suppliers in London.

But definitely take a look. There are numerous species of wood used
for flooring and also different types (more or less live knots)
depending on the style that you like and what else you plan to have in
the room.

antgel wrote:
Hi all,

The floor in my flat is currently awful carpet, on awful ply "slabs",
on battens, on concrete. I was pondering fitting carpet or laminate.
But it just occured to me that it might be possible to fit "real"
floorboards on top of the existing battens. Is this likely to cost
much more (or less) than carpet or laminate? Is it even possible?

Antony

Check your lease if you have one or at least be aware that you'll
probably upset your downstairs neighbours.

Antony Gelberg wrote:
Check your lease if you have one or at least be aware that you'll
probably upset your downstairs neighbours.

Another wounder. It clearly states that this is a no-no. So in one
day, I've gone from halogen downlights and real wood flooring to

normal
lights and carpet. I'm not really annoyed though, which probably

shows
that my inital desires were not backed up with thought.

Antony

Lay the wood over the carpet and put the halogens in a second suspended
ceiling :-)

Straw Bales as Concrete Void Form for Garage Floor Wpg Man Home Repair 18 June 12th 21 08:25 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM