DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   jammed double glazing lock (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/96636-jammed-double-glazing-lock.html)

Russ March 26th 05 10:50 AM

jammed double glazing lock

One of my double glazed windows won't unlock. They key has stopped
engaging the lock and I cant get it open. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Russell

dave March 26th 05 01:27 PM

"Russ" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of my double glazed windows won't unlock. They key has stopped
engaging the lock and I cant get it open. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Russell

wd40 into the keyhole and then gently move key in and out until free

Dave

Russ March 26th 05 02:58 PM

Tkanks Dave - the key isn't stuck - when I turn it in the lock it
doesn't engage and therefore unlock. Any ideas?

Rob Morley March 26th 05 05:26 PM

In article .com,
"Russ" says...
Tkanks Dave - the key isn't stuck - when I turn it in the lock it
doesn't engage and therefore unlock. Any ideas?

What Dave said - wiggle a bit from side to side too. The most likely
cause of your problem is that the pins/plates have gummed up or
corroded so they no longer slide freely. The WD40 should help to
free them up, and wiggling the key helps to work the WD40 into the
mechanism.