DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ceiling fans (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/963-ceiling-fans.html)

NC August 7th 03 02:29 PM

ceiling fans

Another question !!
I currently have a main light right in the centre of the living room ceiling
(pretty standard stuff) but would like to replace this with a ceiling fan. I
have seen some decent ones in B&Q for about £100, with remote control
operation. Now, my question is, how is best to wire this in ?? I am happy to
lose the ceiling light - and as a result wire into that.

However, this will leave me with a normal light switch on the wall. As the
fan is remote controlled, and there therefore wont be a dial on the wall in
the place of the light switch fro controlling it, am I best leaving the
light switch in place and using it as a form of isolation (rathan than
relying on the inbuilt 'off' setting) to turn it off. Or am I best replacing
this light switch with a blank plate and wiring up the inards so that
they're 'always' on ?? (can otherwise be isolated from the main fuse board
not far away).

Any other ideas / suggestions for approaching this ?

David Hearn August 7th 03 03:06 PM

ceiling fans

"NC" wrote in message
[...]

I'd probably just keep it and use it as a separate switch - saves you from
having to find the remote to turn the light on everytime you walk in the
room. We've got ours (without remote) done like this - switch turns it
(normally the light only) on and off, and we use the pull thingys for the
fan on-off. Must admit though - having a remote to do this would be nice -
though I'd still like the ability to turn (something) on and off when I walk
in the room.

NC August 7th 03 03:12 PM

ceiling fans

but thats half the point of fitting a ceilign fan - we never use the ceiling
light and so I will be buying a fan without one.

Bob Minchin August 7th 03 09:08 PM

ceiling fans

NC wrote:

[...]

your ceiling rose will likely have a neutral, a permanent live and a switched
live. Why not connect your fan between neutral and permanent live. What you do
with the switch is up to you.
On my manually switched fans, i run a wire throught the central mounting tube to
the light below to give normal light switching and independent fan power from
the loop through live.