DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suitable adhesive? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95684-suitable-adhesive.html)

Sloper March 18th 05 11:53 PM

Suitable adhesive?

Can someone suggest a suitable flexible adhesive, other than a silicone
type, for glueing stainless-steel mesh to plastic?
Something thick, with properties like silicone sealant/adhesive, would
be perfect. Cheers.

Dave Plowman (News) March 19th 05 09:51 AM

In article ,
Sloper wrote:
Can someone suggest a suitable flexible adhesive, other than a silicone
type, for glueing stainless-steel mesh to plastic?
Something thick, with properties like silicone sealant/adhesive, would
be perfect. Cheers.

Hot melt glue and gun? Very useful for those sort of things. It's not very
flexible, though. But then I'd have thought mesh wasn't either.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Newshound March 19th 05 01:40 PM

What sort of plastic? Nothing much will stick to polyethylene for example.

The Natural Philosopher March 19th 05 02:05 PM

Sloper wrote:

Can someone suggest a suitable flexible adhesive, other than a silicone
type, for glueing stainless-steel mesh to plastic?
Something thick, with properties like silicone sealant/adhesive, would
be perfect. Cheers.

What plastic? Makes a lot of difference

Epoxy sticks to many, but not all, plastics. Olefins being the hardest
to get anything to adhere to.

The Natural Philosopher March 19th 05 02:06 PM

Newshound wrote:

What sort of plastic? Nothing much will stick to polyethylene for example.

Indeed. You need a solvent glue that will attack its surface and then
another glue to attach the attacked surface that is now not actual
polythene, to the next layer...

Sloper March 19th 05 03:14 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sloper wrote:

Can someone suggest a suitable flexible adhesive, other than a
silicone type, for glueing stainless-steel mesh to plastic?
Something thick, with properties like silicone sealant/adhesive, would
be perfect. Cheers.

What plastic? Makes a lot of difference

Epoxy sticks to many, but not all, plastics. Olefins being the hardest
to get anything to adhere to.

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure its
not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is very high
gloss.
There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck to
it before, if that helps.
I think I'll try the hot-melt glue or epoxy (maybe a bit of both) as I
have access to those already. I've never used hot-melt glue before though.
At least if it doesn't work, it should be easy to remove eh?
Cheers.

Newshound March 19th 05 05:41 PM

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure its
not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is very high
gloss.
There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck to it
before, if that helps.

I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is
flexible (unlike epoxy). Hard and glossy could be acrylic or styrene so
solvent type glues sound possible. Gorilla glue is perhaps not flexible
enough?

Sloper March 19th 05 06:51 PM

Newshound wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure its
not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is very high
gloss.
There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck to it
before, if that helps.

I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is
flexible (unlike epoxy). Hard and glossy could be acrylic or styrene so
solvent type glues sound possible. Gorilla glue is perhaps not flexible
enough?

I've thought again, and now think flexibility isn't so important.
Gorilla glue isn't advertised as being suitable for plastics though.
I notice No Nails glues metals and plastics... perhaps that is worth a try?

The Natural Philosopher March 20th 05 12:44 AM

Newshound wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure its
not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is very high
gloss.
There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck to it
before, if that helps.

I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is
flexible (unlike epoxy). Hard and glossy could be acrylic or styrene so
solvent type glues sound possible. Gorilla glue is perhaps not flexible
enough?

The faster epoxies I use - 5 minute - are slightly flexible.

The Natural Philosopher March 20th 05 12:45 AM

Sloper wrote:

Newshound wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure
its not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is
very high gloss.
There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck
to it before, if that helps.

I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is
flexible (unlike epoxy). Hard and glossy could be acrylic or styrene
so solvent type glues sound possible. Gorilla glue is perhaps not
flexible enough?

I've thought again, and now think flexibility isn't so important.
Gorilla glue isn't advertised as being suitable for plastics though.
I notice No Nails glues metals and plastics... perhaps that is worth a try?

Yes. Mirror glue is another similar compund - spirit based rubbery gunk
that sets quite hard. also glues used toi hold shoes soles on. And evostik

Dave Plowman (News) March 20th 05 09:54 AM

In article ,
Newshound wrote:
I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is
flexible (unlike epoxy).

You'll find it on cars glueing bits of various trim materials together,
like say inside a door trim. Like say hardboard type material, various
plastics, leather, metal etc. It's not of course the strongest glue in the
world.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *