Grumps

Default I've just lost the will to live !

I've got some B&Q vouchers.
I have a requirement for some TV cable, plugs, splitters etc.
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.
Great, I actually found a picture of the bits I want. But when I click on
it, all I get are some bloody faceplates.
Their web-site is rubbish. So I tried to call them. Now there is a long
story, but I'll spare you that.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV
bits'n'pieces?

Harvey Van Sickle

On 18 Mar 2005, Grumps wrote

I've got some B&Q vouchers.
I have a requirement for some TV cable, plugs, splitters etc.
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.
Great, I actually found a picture of the bits I want. But when I
click on it, all I get are some bloody faceplates.
Their web-site is rubbish. So I tried to call them. Now there is a
long story, but I'll spare you that.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the
way of TV bits'n'pieces?

Not sure about Reading, but the one I use here in Basingstoke has
always seemed well-supplied with TV bits 'n' pieces. (I bought
the stuff there when I had to re-cable for a new Freeview box.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Tony Hogarty

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:56:12 +0000, Grumps wrote:

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV
bits'n'pieces?

Seemed reasonably well stocked when I was in there last week.
Chris Bacon

Grumps wrote:
( B & Q )
Their web-site is rubbish.

AOL!
ABC

"Grumps" wrote in message
I've got some B&Q vouchers.
I have a requirement for some TV cable, plugs, splitters etc.
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.
Great, I actually found a picture of the bits I want. But when I click on
it, all I get are some bloody faceplates.
Their web-site is rubbish. So I tried to call them. Now there is a long
story, but I'll spare you that.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV
bits'n'pieces?

B&Q's website is so pathetic for online shopping, that they might as will
save millions of pounts per year developing the site and let the customers
come into the store. They only seem to list about 0.1% of their stock on the
site.

Christian McArdle

I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.

Ignore the website. It is worse than useless.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV
bits'n'pieces?

Loads, but Maplin is usually much cheaper. It's on the Oxford Road near
Richer Sounds.

Christian.

Grumps

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.

Ignore the website. It is worse than useless.

This is my view now too.
And to top it all, they've just sent me an annoying email advertisement.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of

TV
bits'n'pieces?

Loads, but Maplin is usually much cheaper. It's on the Oxford Road near
Richer Sounds.

Ah yes, I know them both well.

If I could get any sense out of B&Q's web site I'd do the price comparison.
Maplin have a 100m reel for £25. A mate at a work said he bought a reel at
B&Q for about £22. As I have got some vouchers sitting doing absolutely
nothing, I'll try B&Q first.
Thanks.

kmillar

B&Q's website is so pathetic ....
Yup couldn't agree more.
And what;s with the silly delivery times and outrageous delivery
prices.
Can't believe B&Q's website is so poor.

Alan

In message , Grumps
wrote
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.

Ignore the website. It is worse than useless.

This is my view now too.
And to top it all, they've just sent me an annoying email advertisement.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of

TV
bits'n'pieces?

Loads, but Maplin is usually much cheaper. It's on the Oxford Road near
Richer Sounds.

Ah yes, I know them both well.

If I could get any sense out of B&Q's web site I'd do the price comparison.
Maplin have a 100m reel for £25. A mate at a work said he bought a reel at
B&Q for about £22. As I have got some vouchers sitting doing absolutely
nothing, I'll try B&Q first.

I don't believe that the cable that Maplin is selling for £25 is the
satellite quality double screened cable that is now recommended for
aerial down-leads or distribution, especially for terrestrial digital
TV.

Cable with 100% screening, in copper, such as CT100 (or better) is
recommended.

Reels of CAI http://www.cai.org.uk/ recommended cable can be
obtained for around £25 but unlikely from expensive outlets such as B&Q
or Maplin.

Do a search on
http://groups-beta.google.com/ for CT100 CAI

--
Alan

Alan

In message , Grumps
wrote

If I could get any sense out of B&Q's web site I'd do the price comparison.
Maplin have a 100m reel for £25. A mate at a work said he bought a reel at
B&Q for about £22. As I have got some vouchers sitting doing absolutely
nothing, I'll try B&Q first.

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/coaxcablequalityhmdim.htm

--
Alan

Grumps

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Grumps
wrote

If I could get any sense out of B&Q's web site I'd do the price

comparison.
Maplin have a 100m reel for £25. A mate at a work said he bought a reel

at
B&Q for about £22. As I have got some vouchers sitting doing absolutely
nothing, I'll try B&Q first.

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/coaxcablequalityhmdim.htm

So, is this
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...U=150836&N=401
the same as this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...15&WorldID =2
&doy=18m3
?
Or anywhere cheaper?

Mike

"ABC" wrote in message

B&Q's website is so pathetic for online shopping, that they might as will
save millions of pounts per year developing the site and let the customers
come into the store.

That's surely the point :

1. You want something so you look online.
2. Oh - B&Q have it.
3. I'm not paying that much for delivery.
4. I'll pop down to the local store
5. While I'm there I'll buy XYZ as well

Mike

"Grumps" wrote in message

You mean you've met IMM ?

Grumps

"Mike" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

You mean you've met IMM ?

Cruel. But it made me laugh.
I've not seen any posts from him recently. He must be on holiday.

Mike

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

You mean you've met IMM ?

Cruel. But it made me laugh.
I've not seen any posts from him recently. He must be on holiday.

He's now calling himself Doctor Evil for reasons that aren't entirely clear
to me.

raden

In message , Grumps
writes
I've got some B&Q vouchers.
I have a requirement for some TV cable, plugs, splitters etc.
I thought I'd look at www.diy.com to see what range they have.
Great, I actually found a picture of the bits I want. But when I click on
it, all I get are some bloody faceplates.
Their web-site is rubbish. So I tried to call them. Now there is a long
story, but I'll spare you that.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV
bits'n'pieces?

I was hoping that was a DIMM post there, alas, no

If you don't need them tomorrow, try CPC, they have a good range of such
things

--
geoff
John Rumm

Alan wrote:

I don't believe that the cable that Maplin is selling for £25 is the
satellite quality double screened cable that is now recommended for
aerial down-leads or distribution, especially for terrestrial digital TV.

Cable with 100% screening, in copper, such as CT100 (or better) is
recommended.

Maplin's version (FT100) is listed at 40 quid a 100m reel.

Reels of CAI http://www.cai.org.uk/ recommended cable can be
obtained for around £25 but unlikely from expensive outlets such as B&Q
or Maplin.

www.cpc.co.uk do handy 50m reels quite cheaply if you don't need a full
one.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Grumps wrote:

So, is this
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...U=150836&N=401
the same as this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...15&WorldID =2
&doy=18m3

Effectively, yes.

Or anywhere cheaper?

How about:

(I take back what I said about 50m reels at CPC in my other response - I
just looked and they are listed as "while stocks last", and are now out
of stock. Their 100m reels are much the same price as the others).

--
Cheers,

John.

Alan

In message , John
Rumm wrote
Grumps wrote:

So, is this
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...U=150836&N=401
the same as this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...15&WorldID =2
&doy=18m3

Effectively, yes.

The Maplin cable doesn't appear to have a copper inner screen. The
picture shows a silver inner which suggests it is inferior quality cable
with the metal coated plastic screening.

The Farnell site shows the 'proper' cable but the price is way over the
top. £25 for a 100m reel should be possible. A search of the Google
news archives should bring up a source at a lower price.

--
Alan

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Maplin's version (FT100) is listed at 40 quid a 100m reel.

Reels of CAI http://www.cai.org.uk/ recommended cable can be
obtained for around £25 but unlikely from expensive outlets such as
B&Q or Maplin.

www.cpc.co.uk do handy 50m reels quite cheaply if you don't need a full
one.

TLC do their version - PF100 (upgraded CT100) for 21 quid per hundred, or
30p a metre. Plus VAT, of course.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

Grumps wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

You mean you've met IMM ?

Cruel. But it made me laugh.
I've not seen any posts from him recently. He must be on holiday.

I think hes been put away hasn't he?
Or is he giving evidence in wacko jackos trial?
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cruel. But it made me laugh.
I've not seen any posts from him recently. He must be on holiday.

I think hes been put away hasn't he?
Or is he giving evidence in wacko jackos trial?

Crikey. That would be one sure way to get a mistrial...

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lobster

Mike wrote:
"ABC" wrote in message

B&Q's website is so pathetic for online shopping, that they might as will
save millions of pounts per year developing the site and let the customers
come into the store.

That's surely the point :

1. You want something so you look online.
2. Oh - B&Q have it.

Or rather:
2. I still have no idea whether B&Q have it or not

3. I'm not paying that much for delivery.

3. Skip 3 - not relevant now

4. I'll pop down to the local store
5. While I'm there I'll buy XYZ as well

Alternatively:
2. I have no idea whether B&Q have it or not
3. Toolstation.com definitely does have it
4. I'll buy it from Toolstation instead.

David

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"ABC" wrote in message

B&Q's website is so pathetic for online shopping, that they might as

will
save millions of pounts per year developing the site and let the

customers
come into the store.

That's surely the point :

1. You want something so you look online.
2. Oh - B&Q have it.

Or rather:
2. I still have no idea whether B&Q have it or not

3. I'm not paying that much for delivery.

3. Skip 3 - not relevant now

4. I'll pop down to the local store
5. While I'm there I'll buy XYZ as well

Alternatively:
2. I have no idea whether B&Q have it or not
3. Toolstation.com definitely does have it
4. I'll buy it from Toolstation instead.

David

That's the power of the Internet - and probably why B&Q are getting into
difficulties recently after years of unrestrained growth. They definitely
seem to be getting out of many small items and growing 'big' areas - garden
furniture, kitchens, conservatories, etc.

That said I wish Toolstation would complete their range. They irritatingly
always have about 3/4 of what I need whereas Screwfix have nearer 90%.

Alan

In message , Mike
wrote

That said I wish Toolstation would complete their range. They irritatingly
always have about 3/4 of what I need whereas Screwfix have nearer 90%.

Screwfix now only have 4000 items in their latest catalogue.

--
Alan

Lobster

Alan wrote:
In message , Mike
wrote

That said I wish Toolstation would complete their range. They
irritatingly always have about 3/4 of what I need whereas Screwfix
have nearer 90%.

I always find the same, too; invariably I start compiling an order on
TS, but then come across somthing not available, and have to switch the
whole order to Screwfix (as I normally order around the minimum order
mark). I certainly find the gap is narrowing though.

I'm seriously ****ed off with TS at the mo though; they made a right
cockup of a delivery a couple of weeks ago, and when my phone call to
customer service was met with disinterest I applied fingers to keyboard
instead - but didn't get so much as an autoresponder reply to that.

And the buggers have just dropped their 'free-but-slow delivery on small
orders' option too.

Screwfix now only have 4000 items in their latest catalogue.

Is that down on what it was then?

David

John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

I'm seriously ****ed off with TS at the mo though; they made a right

They seem to have broken their home page completely at the mo...

Glitch or portent of something more?

--
Cheers,

John.