DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lights on Dimmer switch flicker from 2/3 to full (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95617-lights-dimmer-switch-flicker-2-3-full.html)

[email protected] March 18th 05 12:22 PM

Lights on Dimmer switch flicker from 2/3 to full

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody could shed some light on this...

I have two 40W bulbs in my lounge on a double switch. I replaced the
switch for a double dimmer.

All was ok for a while until one of them started to flicker rapidly as
I turned the dial up from about 2/3 to full, the flickering got faster
as the dial was rotated closer to full, but below the 2/3 mark, the
bulb appeared steady.

The other light was fine until the dimmer stopped working completely
one night and I could only get full on/off, with no flickering.

I took the dimmer back to Homebase and swapped it. Wired it in last
night and now both bulbs flicker rapidly when turned up from about 2/3
to full. Again, below about 2/3 the bulbs appear to be steady.

The lounge bulbs are on a seperate fuse from everything else.

Is this my wiring? Or have I managed to buy two dud dimmer switches?

It's starting to confuse me as up to now, I have never had a problem
with wiring.

Thank you for your time.

/Heds

Mark Carver March 18th 05 01:40 PM

wrote:
[...]

Most dimmer controls have a maximum and *minimum* power rating.
I'm surprised however that an 80w load gives difficulties, have a close
look at the dimmer's specs however. Failing that try larger rated light
bulbs to see what happens.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply

Dave Plowman (News) March 18th 05 01:53 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
I have two 40W bulbs in my lounge on a double switch. I replaced the
switch for a double dimmer.

All was ok for a while until one of them started to flicker rapidly as
I turned the dial up from about 2/3 to full, the flickering got faster
as the dial was rotated closer to full, but below the 2/3 mark, the
bulb appeared steady.

First thing I'd look at is the *minimum* load requirement. As a rough
guide it's

40 watt for a 250 watt dimmer
60 watt for a 400 watt one.

But it should be somewhere on the packaging or instructions.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Ian_m March 18th 05 02:05 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Minimum load on cheap dimmers is 100W. Had to buy an expensive £15 one to
dim kids bedroom 60W bulb.

Andrew Gabriel March 18th 05 02:06 PM

In article .com,
writes:
[...]

Dimmers have a minimum load as well as a maximum load.
Are you below the minimum load for the dimmer?
You could temporarily try a 60W or 100W lamp and see
if this solves the problem (although the symptom you
describe is not what I've seen from running them below
their minimum power rating).

When one dimmer failed to on/off mode only, did that
coincide with a lamp blowing? Sounds like the Triac
died, which is not unexpected on lamp failure, but if
it happened otherwise, I suspect the dimmer is just
too cheaply made. What make is it?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Heds March 18th 05 07:23 PM

wrote:
[...]

A big thank you for all your replies.

I changed the 40W bulbs over for 60W and they have stopped flickering.
After reading your posts, I noticed on the back of the dimmer that it
had a minimum load of 60W. Should have looked at that in the first
instance, but I only knew about max loads. So that's something new
learnt today.

So, I'm really happy!

Thank you.

/Heds