DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler flue placement from conservatory -what regulations could I be breakjing? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95548-boiler-flue-placement-conservatory-what-regulations-could-i-breakjing.html)

Ted March 17th 05 10:19 PM

Boiler flue placement from conservatory -what regulations could I be breakjing?

Hi, can I have a bit of advice regarding the flue on my 28i Junior Worcester
and it's distance from my proposed conservatory?

The boiler manual says there should be a 300mm distance from the flue and
any structure. The proposed conservatory placement would leave only about
50mm. What is the deal here, as I keep getting different sets of advice? Is
the issue the flue, or the fumes from the flue? Although I don't have any
openings on the flue side, my fitter is worried about melting plastic being
close to the flue. I've spoken to a gas (Corgi) guy who has said that I
shouldn't worry.

What laws/rules am I breaking if I have the flue so close? Would extending
the flue upwards make any difference?

Sorry about all the questions! My only option is to go up into one of the
bedrooms and come out higher and within regulation. This would cost a bit of
money as well as losing space in what alraedy is a small bedroom. Any
advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

Mike March 17th 05 11:03 PM

"Ted" wrote in message
k...
Hi, can I have a bit of advice regarding the flue on my 28i Junior

Worcester
and it's distance from my proposed conservatory?

The boiler manual says there should be a 300mm distance from the flue and
any structure. The proposed conservatory placement would leave only about
50mm. What is the deal here, as I keep getting different sets of advice?

Is
the issue the flue, or the fumes from the flue? Although I don't have any
openings on the flue side, my fitter is worried about melting plastic

being
close to the flue. I've spoken to a gas (Corgi) guy who has said that I
shouldn't worry.

What laws/rules am I breaking if I have the flue so close?

Part J of the building regs - table 3.4 on page 43

Would extending the flue upwards make any difference?

Provided you get above the localised roof line then yes.

John Stumbles March 18th 05 01:09 AM

Ted wrote:
Hi, can I have a bit of advice regarding the flue on my 28i Junior Worcester
and it's distance from my proposed conservatory?

The boiler manual says there should be a 300mm distance from the flue and
any structure. The proposed conservatory placement would leave only about
50mm. What is the deal here, as I keep getting different sets of advice? Is
the issue the flue, or the fumes from the flue? Although I don't have any
openings on the flue side, my fitter is worried about melting plastic being
close to the flue. I've spoken to a gas (Corgi) guy who has said that I
shouldn't worry.

What laws/rules am I breaking if I have the flue so close?

Section 8 of the Gas Safety Installation & Use Regs
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...8/19982451.htm

Existing gas fittings
8. - (1) No person shall make any alteration to any premises in
which a gas fitting or gas storage vessel is fitted if that alteration
would adversely affect the safety of the fitting or vessel in such a
manner that, if the fitting or the vessel had been installed after the
alteration, there would have been a contravention of, or failure to
comply with, these Regulations.

As I read it: supposing you'd built the conservatory first and then
wanted to install the boiler, if you wouldn't have been allowed to put
the boiler (or its flue) as close to the conservatory as you're
proposing to put the conservatory to the boiler flue then you (or your
conservatory builder) would be in contravention of Section 8. Note teh
GSIUR make this a criminal offence, not just a matter of a tiff with
your BCO.

Would extending the flue upwards make any difference?

As long as the flue position is in accordance with the regs
BS5440-1(2000) and Approved Doc J
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_032737.pdf
and the boiler mfr's instructions
(in your boiler manual) then you'll be OK. However the manufacturer may
not allow you sufficient flue extensions to get the flue to a
satisfactory position so you may have to re-site the boiler instead.

Sorry about all the questions! My only option is to go up into one of the
bedrooms and come out higher and within regulation. This would cost a bit of
money as well as losing space in what alraedy is a small bedroom. Any
advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Install in attic/loft space? (google previous threads)

Ted March 18th 05 09:41 PM

What laws/rules am I breaking if I have the flue so close?

Part J of the building regs - table 3.4 on page 43

Would extending the flue upwards make any difference?

Provided you get above the localised roof line then yes.

Thanks Mike, sorry to be a bit dim but do you actually mean "extending the
flue" or moving where it actually comes out the wall? Also, when you say
localised roof line, do you mean the roof of the conservatory? Sorry my
terminology is a bit dodgy! I've also emailed worcester/bosche regarding
this. I've had a look at the boiler flue placement guide, which is detailed
he

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ind... tail_id=9662

I'm guessing it's the fact that the conservatory is high enough to make the
flue sit alongside it thus making point "M" applicable. If it sat above and
to the side I don't think I'd have a problem.

Ted

Ted March 18th 05 10:00 PM

Would extending the flue upwards make any difference?

As long as the flue position is in accordance with the regs
BS5440-1(2000) and Approved Doc J

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_032737.pdf
and the boiler mfr's instructions
(in your boiler manual) then you'll be OK. However the manufacturer may
not allow you sufficient flue extensions to get the flue to a
satisfactory position so you may have to re-site the boiler instead.

Thanks,

Looking at the manual it says:

- Maximum straight flue length permissible is 2500mm, including the flue
turret fitted to the top of the boiler.
- When using two flue bends (inclusive of the flue turret supplied with the
standard flue kit) maximum straight extended flue length must not exceed
1750mm.

Now aside from the intial bend (or turret assembly), I reckon I've got 800mm
of straight flue to the outside. I think the extra length is achievable if
it really is as simple as putting an extra 90 degree bend on the outside and
a vertical bit to take it upwards..or am I missing something?

Ted