DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to get Garden Gate to close more gently (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95460-how-get-garden-gate-close-more-gently.html)

Charlie March 17th 05 10:31 AM

How to get Garden Gate to close more gently

My parents' garden gate is fitted with a spring on the inside which
closes the gate on opening.

Unfortunately it closes a bit vigourously, you have to hold it open to
stop it banging against you. It also slams loudly.

What are the best options to resolve the problem?
I'm thinking of things like:
- rising hinges
- moving the location of the spring mountings

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Mary Fisher March 17th 05 11:22 AM

"Charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
My parents' garden gate is fitted with a spring on the inside which
closes the gate on opening.

Unfortunately it closes a bit vigourously, you have to hold it open to
stop it banging against you. It also slams loudly.

What are the best options to resolve the problem?
I'm thinking of things like:
- rising hinges
- moving the location of the spring mountings

Thanks in advance

We don't have a spring on the gate but it closes with a noise we can hear in
the house. It can be very useful, people can't creep in.

Mary

Charlie

TTT March 17th 05 12:22 PM

"Charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
My parents' garden gate is fitted with a spring on the inside which
closes the gate on opening.

Unfortunately it closes a bit vigourously, you have to hold it open to
stop it banging against you. It also slams loudly.

What are the best options to resolve the problem?
I'm thinking of things like:
- rising hinges
- moving the location of the spring mountings

Thanks in advance

Charlie

If its one of the coil springs, they're usually adjustable.