DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gloss Paint on Copper Pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95340-gloss-paint-copper-pipe.html)

[email protected] March 16th 05 01:37 PM

Gloss Paint on Copper Pipe

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

Thanks,
Chris

Stuart March 16th 05 01:42 PM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:07 +0000, wrote:

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

Thanks,
Chris

Could you not sand it until the paint is removed to your satisfaction.
Stuart

Mogweed March 16th 05 01:45 PM

wrote in message
Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

Thanks,
Chris

Well, I used ordinary sandpaper the same as if you were sanding the gloss
paint on wood. Started with a fairly coarse paper then used wire wool for
the finishing touch and it cleaned up good enough to take a soldered joint
without any problems.

Mogweed.

Dave Plowman (News) March 16th 05 02:34 PM

In article ,
wrote:
Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

A chemical stripper followed by a good rinse in water then wire wool?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

I just scrape the worst off with a Stanley knife then wire wool.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Christian McArdle March 16th 05 03:04 PM

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

I used sandpaper (the maroon type, whatever it is called). It was easily
effective enough for a soldered joint, let alone a compression. Cut a strip
of paper and wrap around the pipe and pull at alternate ends.

Christian.

Andrew McKay March 16th 05 06:27 PM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:07 +0000, wrote:

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

You could burn it off with a blowtorch, don't let the flame play on
the copper too much (wave it side-to-side) otherwise the copper pipe
could distort (unlikely though).

Andrew

ARWadsworth March 16th 05 08:18 PM

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:07 +0000, wrote:

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

You could burn it off with a blowtorch, don't let the flame play on
the copper too much (wave it side-to-side) otherwise the copper pipe
could distort (unlikely though).

Andrew

Blowtorch and wire wool seems to work fine.

Adam

Chris Hodges March 16th 05 08:34 PM

wrote:
Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper
Piping?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the
paint first without damaging the pipe

This is the only thing I use chemical stripper for - works a treat.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Rod Hewitt March 16th 05 10:43 PM

Chris Hodges wrote in
k:

This is the only thing I use chemical stripper for - works a treat.

Agreed. Quick, effective and usable even when you couldn't easily get any
form of abrasive to work (e.g. behind immovable objects).

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News) March 17th 05 02:20 PM

In article ,
Rod Hewitt wrote:
This is the only thing I use chemical stripper for - works a treat.

Agreed. Quick, effective and usable even when you couldn't easily get
any form of abrasive to work (e.g. behind immovable objects).

If you can't get a strip of sandpaper or some wire wool behind the pipe,
I doubt you'll get the compression fitting on. :-)

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Chris Hodges March 17th 05 06:16 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Hewitt wrote:

This is the only thing I use chemical stripper for - works a treat.

Agreed. Quick, effective and usable even when you couldn't easily get
any form of abrasive to work (e.g. behind immovable objects).

If you can't get a strip of sandpaper or some wire wool behind the pipe,
I doubt you'll get the compression fitting on. :-)

True, but being confident you've got all the paint off without scoring
the surface too much is harder.

Dave Plowman (News) March 17th 05 06:59 PM

In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:
If you can't get a strip of sandpaper or some wire wool behind the
pipe, I doubt you'll get the compression fitting on. :-)

True, but being confident you've got all the paint off without scoring
the surface too much is harder.

Yup - although the common occasion for getting paint off would be a
radiator feed pipe, and there's usually enough space there. In another
situation - if you'd suspected you'd scratched the pipe badly, I'd use a
solder fitting. Of course using a mirror etc to make sure no paint
remained.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *