DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   should stainless steel cooker splashback be earthed? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95072-should-stainless-steel-cooker-splashback-earthed.html)

[email protected] March 14th 05 02:35 PM

should stainless steel cooker splashback be earthed?

hey,

we're just fitting a new kitchen, and intend to have a stainless steel
splashback behind our dual fuel (gas hob/electric oven) cooker. There's
a chimney style extractor hood above.

Should it be earth bonded? (by law and/or common sense)

I presume if I buy the manufacturers spalshback for =A3100 or so it will
have an earth tag if bonding is required, but I was looking at those on
ebay for about =A330 that i guess are pretty much home made and probably
won't be so particular about regulations, if there are any.

anyone know?

cheers,

rob.

Christian McArdle March 14th 05 03:19 PM

we're just fitting a new kitchen, and intend to have a stainless
steel splashback behind our dual fuel (gas hob/electric oven)
cooker. There's chimney style extractor hood above.

Should it be earth bonded? (by law and/or common sense)

There's no legal requirement to bond it (unless it is part of the
appliance). Given the large area, I would consider bonding it, if there is
any conceivable way it could get an imperfect earth by some means. This
could be if it touches a metal cased earthed appliance (including the
cooker), or metal pipework. If it only conceivably touches insulated items,
it may be safer to leave it unbonded.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel March 14th 05 03:25 PM

In article .com,
writes:
hey,
we're just fitting a new kitchen, and intend to have a stainless steel
splashback behind our dual fuel (gas hob/electric oven) cooker. There's
a chimney style extractor hood above.
Should it be earth bonded? (by law and/or common sense)
I presume if I buy the manufacturers spalshback for £100 or so it will
have an earth tag if bonding is required, but I was looking at those on
ebay for about £30 that i guess are pretty much home made and probably
won't be so particular about regulations, if there are any.
anyone know?

There's no requirement for earth bonding in a kitchen.
Some people do it, and others don't. Personally I do
within reach of the sink. It's not universally held
to be a good idea though -- there are some failure modes
where it makes things more lethal.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Nick Atty March 14th 05 10:59 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:25:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article .com,
writes:
hey,
we're just fitting a new kitchen, and intend to have a stainless steel
splashback behind our dual fuel (gas hob/electric oven) cooker. There's
a chimney style extractor hood above.
Should it be earth bonded? (by law and/or common sense)
I presume if I buy the manufacturers spalshback for £100 or so it will
have an earth tag if bonding is required, but I was looking at those on
ebay for about £30 that i guess are pretty much home made and probably
won't be so particular about regulations, if there are any.
anyone know?

There's no requirement for earth bonding in a kitchen.
Some people do it, and others don't. Personally I do
within reach of the sink. It's not universally held
to be a good idea though -- there are some failure modes
where it makes things more lethal.

I suppose Agas are another thing like this - ours doesn't do hot water
any more (although it did, and still has the remains of some 1" pipe
hanging around in the voids somewhere) and is connected to the gas
supply. So it's probably "vaguely earthed".
--
On-line canal route planner:
http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)