DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Imperial Size Bannister Upright Thingy? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/94839-imperial-size-bannister-upright-thingy.html)

Maria March 12th 05 03:24 PM

Imperial Size Bannister Upright Thingy?

I have a Victorian house and my bannister thingy has a broken upright.
I can't remember what they are called - it's the turned decorative
thing that supports the rail.

Anyone any idea where I could get a replacement off the shelf (apart
from reclamation), or would I probably have to get one made?

Harvey Van Sickle March 12th 05 03:37 PM

On 12 Mar 2005, Maria wrote

I have a Victorian house and my bannister thingy has a broken
upright. I can't remember what they are called - it's the turned
decorative thing that supports the rail.

FWIW, I think it's "baluster". (Bannister refers to the
rail+baulsters, if I remember it correctly.)

Anyone any idea where I could get a replacement off the shelf
(apart from reclamation), or would I probably have to get one
made?

I think you'd be lucky to find one the right size and shape, even at a
reclamation yard. Probably easier to find a local wood-turner to do
it.

(Can you not glue it back together, or has a piece gone missing?)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

bof March 12th 05 06:37 PM

In message , Maria
writes
I have a Victorian house and my bannister thingy has a broken upright.
I can't remember what they are called - it's the turned decorative
thing that supports the rail.

Anyone any idea where I could get a replacement off the shelf (apart
from reclamation), or would I probably have to get one made?

I looked around for a while (inc. reclaims) to try and find matching
Victorian spindles and newel post, there's hundreds of designs out
there, and none of them matched. Ended up getting a local wood turner to
copy one of the undamaged spindles and turn a newel from a pattern I
gave him, wasn't particularly costly.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Rob Morley March 12th 05 07:15 PM

In article , "Maria"
says...
I have a Victorian house and my bannister thingy has a broken upright.
I can't remember what they are called - it's the turned decorative
thing that supports the rail.

Anyone any idea where I could get a replacement off the shelf (apart
from reclamation), or would I probably have to get one made?

How is it broken? If you have all the pieces you may be able to
repair it.

Dave Plowman (News) March 13th 05 10:17 AM

In article ,
bof wrote:
I looked around for a while (inc. reclaims) to try and find matching
Victorian spindles and newel post, there's hundreds of designs out
there, and none of them matched.

That's because there were hundreds of makers. No point in shipping them in
from a central factory as today - you got them made locally.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.