--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Andrew Gabriel August 7th 03 03:20 AM

AA Lithium batteries

In article ,
mutley writes:
Are the Lithium type of AA batteries up to the job? I have seen Energizer
L39 offered at £3.29 each for 2000mAH, which is a lot compared with (good)
standard alkaline types (Maximum, Powermax etc.) at about 40-50p. each. I'm
considering the L39 for a power-hungry digicam, instead of buying 2 sets of
NiMH and a good charger, or sticking with multi-packs of alkalines.

I use L91's in my digital camera, which is rather power hungry.
Not sure what L39's are. L91's are 1.5V AA, and I think they are
4000mAH. I buy them in the USA though -- they are less than half
the price there. They seem to last very much longer than 2000mAH
NiMH -- much longer than twice as long.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Christian McArdle August 7th 03 03:32 PM

AA Lithium batteries

NiMH and a good charger, or sticking with multi-packs of alkalines.

To my environmental shame, I've given up on NiMH for my digital camera, as I
could never seem to keep a spare set charged. I just buy Alkalines from
Toys-R-Us, who do a seemingly perpetual 2 for 1 offer giving you 32AA for
5.99 and don't use the display unless I have to.

Christian.

Dave Plowman August 7th 03 07:23 PM

AA Lithium batteries

In article ,
wrote:
No, I don't think so. Ordinary (non alkaline) cells don't have the
capacity of even NiCd cells of the same size, especially at high
discharge rates.

Hmm. Assuming reasonable discharge rates, have you any figures to prove
this? I must admit to only using alkalines.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Mary Fisher August 12th 03 08:43 PM

AA Lithium batteries

To my environmental shame, I've given up on NiMH for my digital camera,

So have I, again to my shame, because they simply didn't last long enough.

I don't use the display unless I have to.

I think that's a very important point. The display eats power.

Mary

Christian.

David August 13th 03 03:54 PM

AA Lithium batteries

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message et...

To my environmental shame, I've given up on NiMH for my digital camera,

So have I, again to my shame, because they simply didn't last long enough.

I don't use the display unless I have to.

I think that's a very important point. The display eats power.

I'm really surprised at this actually... I've run my camera (Canon
Powershot A40) on NiMhs ever since I bought it. I always carry a
spare set (4) of charged cells around, and never worry about how long
the display is on for or how much I use the camera; if I have to
change the cells during the day I can always guarantee there'll be
more than enough juice available from the second set to last till I
can get back to my charger that evening. (Only problem comes when I
find the kids have raided my AA's to power their GameBoys again! cue
sense-of-humour failure from pa...)

I guess it depends on how much you use the camera during the day,
whether it auto-powers down (mine does), etc etc - but to be honest
I've never felt that alkalines lasted any longer than a set of freshly
charged NiMHs.

David

Roger Wareham August 13th 03 04:28 PM

AA Lithium batteries

David wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message et...

To my environmental shame, I've given up on NiMH for my digital camera,

So have I, again to my shame, because they simply didn't last long enough.

I've found that the cheap plug-in chargers don't charge NiMHs
sufficiently. They use a timer rather than monitoring the state of
charge of the cell. I charge them twice, giving them time to cool down
in between.

New NiMHs also require half a dozen or so full charge/discharge cycles
before they achieve full capacity.

Roger.

Paul Mc Cann August 13th 03 07:57 PM

AA Lithium batteries

On 13 Aug 2003 07:54:06 -0700, (David)
wrote:

[...]

I've just switched from Minolta Dimage 7i which has a reputation of
being a battery eater. (Not really justified IMHO) I used a variety of
NiMh and fast Ansmann charger and had no problems.

I've never had a digital camera yet that didn't require a spare
battery. Rarely did I have to use a 3rd set with the Dimage.

The current camera, a Canon EOS 10d came with a Li-ion battery which
far out lasts the NiMhs in the Minolta. Though I still carry a spare,
one fully charged battery will easily do me for a days shooting if not
more.

I got the spare one from Germany via ebay. It was very reasonably
priced compared to the pukka Canon job.

Paul Mc Cann

Phil August 13th 03 08:19 PM

AA Lithium batteries

Ampere-hours far from tell you the whole story on the suitability of a
particular battery - discharge rate - type of load (resistive or
inductive "looking" and it will be the latter in a lot of consumumer
products - DC to DC convertors etc) - constant current to constant
power load ?

Have a look at some data sheets at:

http://www.duracell.com/oem/Primary/...anese_data.asp

And:

http://www.duracell.com/oem/Comparisons/

--
Phil

(David) wrote in message . com...
[...]

August 24th 03 07:00 AM

AA Lithium batteries

Reply at foot.

harrogate wrote in message ...

If we're talking digital still cameras, I use Energizer lithium AAs and

they
last ages - I've had the camera 18 months (Olympus Camedia 3000Z) and I've
only just started my third set!

Energizer in the UK - £5.99 a pair. From 7dayshop.com (in the Channel
Islands) it's £5.45 for four!

Thanks for all the replies to my original message: I think I'll get a set of
Lithium from 7DayShop (my favourite supplier anyhow) and see how they go in
my Canon A40. As I understand it lithiums 'recover' a lot better when not in
use. If they don't outlast Alkalines by a long way I'll look for a good NiMh
charger. Hopefully the prices of the good ones will have come down by now.

mutley

BillR August 27th 03 11:51 AM

AA Lithium batteries

mutley wrote:
Reply at foot.

harrogate wrote in message ...

If we're talking digital still cameras, I use Energizer lithium AAs
and they last ages - I've had the camera 18 months (Olympus Camedia
3000Z) and I've only just started my third set!

Energizer in the UK - £5.99 a pair. From 7dayshop.com (in the Channel
Islands) it's £5.45 for four!

Thanks for all the replies to my original message: I think I'll get a
set of Lithium from 7DayShop (my favourite supplier anyhow) and see
how they go in my Canon A40. As I understand it lithiums 'recover' a
lot better when not in use. If they don't outlast Alkalines by a long
way I'll look for a good NiMh charger. Hopefully the prices of the
good ones will have come down by now.

Recently got one of their hama nimh chargers + 4x 2000mAh cells. Excellent
for digicamera use. Can charge in car too.