DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing machine - belt or motor or..? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9405-re-washing-machine-belt-motor.html)

Set Square June 14th 04 11:23 AM

Washing machine - belt or motor or..?

Jim wrote:

The w/machine went phut yesterday. Probably more of a thump,
but I wasn't there. Apparently the missus tried washing one
towel too many and ....

Pump still works, but the drum doesn't turn and the
programme doesn't advance. The drum still seems "weighted"
much the same as before, so I'm guessing that the belt in
still in place. If so, what would cause this - burnt out
motor?

It's a Zanussi Jetsystem Excel 1450 (though there's another
model number somewhere...)

Cheers,
Jim

If the belt is still on, turning the drum will also turn the motor - so
you'll feel the inertia of this, which is what I think you are saying.

If the belt *had* come off or broken, you'd hear the motor whirring when it
was supposed to be driving the drum. I presume that you don't hear this?

It sounds as if the motor is not being driven round for one reason or
another. It *may* be burnt out. Are there any internal fuses which may have
blown? It *could* be a problem with the programmer - or even with the
wiring.

You can only really bottom this out by taking the back or top off and
measuring the voltage at various places when it's supposed to be rotating in
order to determine what's what. Unless you feel competent to do this, it may
be safer to send for an expert.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The Natural Philosopher June 14th 04 11:25 AM

Jim wrote:

The w/machine went phut yesterday. Probably more of a thump,
but I wasn't there. Apparently the missus tried washing one
towel too many and ....

Pump still works, but the drum doesn't turn and the
programme doesn't advance. The drum still seems "weighted"
much the same as before, so I'm guessing that the belt in
still in place. If so, what would cause this - burnt out
motor?

It's a Zanussi Jetsystem Excel 1450 (though there's another
model number somewhere...)

Cheers,
Jim

[To email go to my address and take out the dog...]

Open it up and take a look.

[email protected] June 14th 04 11:32 AM

Washing machine - belt or motor or..?

Don't know anything about washing machines so forgive me if this is
totally off the mark but our old Hoover washing machine did exactly
this everytime the brushes on the motor burn't out.

These are the carbon brushes which cost a couple of pounds and slip
into the end of the motor.

Not sure if they still have these sort of things but this maybe the
answer

David McNeish June 14th 04 10:48 PM

Washing machine - belt or motor or..?

In article ,
says...
The w/machine went phut yesterday. Probably more of a thump,
but I wasn't there. Apparently the missus tried washing one
towel too many and ....

Pump still works, but the drum doesn't turn and the
programme doesn't advance. The drum still seems "weighted"
much the same as before, so I'm guessing that the belt in
still in place. If so, what would cause this - burnt out
motor?

Probably the carbon brushes in the motor - I had identical symptoms the
other week and replaced the brushes, which put it back to normal working
order.

David

Bob Minchin June 15th 04 10:03 PM

Washing machine - belt or motor or..?

David McNeish wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
The w/machine went phut yesterday. Probably more of a thump,
but I wasn't there. Apparently the missus tried washing one
towel too many and ....

Pump still works, but the drum doesn't turn and the
programme doesn't advance. The drum still seems "weighted"
much the same as before, so I'm guessing that the belt in
still in place. If so, what would cause this - burnt out
motor?

Probably the carbon brushes in the motor - I had identical symptoms the
other week and replaced the brushes, which put it back to normal working
order.

David

If the motor is not turning then it could well be brushes as others have
said.
I wonder why the programmer is not advancing. Once the programmer has turned
on the motor, it assumes it is working. I have not seen any form of sensor
tha would tell the programmer if the drum were turning or not.
Two key things (at least!) that have to be right before the programmer
advances are
1) the water level has to be right and then
2) water temperature has to be right.
Most machines (even with H&C fill) take a preset mix of H&C aiming at a
temperature below that required and then heat it electrically till it is
right. So is the water level about right?, is the heater element heating?,
is the themal switch/sensor ok?

hth

Bob

N. Thornton June 16th 04 11:12 PM

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message ...
David McNeish wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
The w/machine went phut yesterday. Probably more of a thump,
but I wasn't there. Apparently the missus tried washing one
towel too many and ....

Pump still works, but the drum doesn't turn and the
programme doesn't advance. The drum still seems "weighted"
much the same as before, so I'm guessing that the belt in
still in place. If so, what would cause this - burnt out
motor?

could be belt come off, motor fried, brushes worn out, controller
fault, or a wire dropped off.

Regards, NT

Andy Dingley June 17th 04 01:50 AM

On 16 Jun 2004 15:12:55 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

could be belt come off, motor fried, brushes worn out, controller
fault, or a wire dropped off.

Or even a mouse in the motor
(You don't want to know...)

OK, maybe _you_ might want to know.