CA

Default Cleaning brickwork

Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Thanks

Craig
Steve P

"CA" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Thanks

Craig

See replies to your 12.00 post

tony green

"CA" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Thanks

Craig

Brick cleaning acid is available from most builders merchants. Use as
direction. Apply with a soft sweeping brush head, no pole. protection use
like rubber gloves and eye protectors

Nicholas

Hi

I was told not to use brick acid as it can damage/weaken the mortar holding
the wall together...

I'd probably ignore that advice if the wall was really messy though but make
sure you clean off very thoroughly.

Cheers

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--
"tony green" wrote in message

"CA" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Thanks

Craig

Brick cleaning acid is available from most builders merchants. Use as
direction. Apply with a soft sweeping brush head, no pole. protection use
like rubber gloves and eye protectors

tony green

"Nicholas" wrote in message
Hi

I was told not to use brick acid as it can damage/weaken the mortar

holding
the wall together...

I'd probably ignore that advice if the wall was really messy though but

make
sure you clean off very thoroughly.

Its used through out the building trade, Read the instructions on the
container before you buy, then make your own mind up.

The Natural Philosopher

CA wrote:

Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Brick acid

Thanks

Craig

The Natural Philosopher

Nicholas wrote:

Hi

I was told not to use brick acid as it can damage/weaken the mortar holding
the wall together...

Well so it does. But not enough to be an issue, because you pull the big
lumps off first with a chisel or wire brush and use the acid to freshen
up the surface only.

The mortar joints will fizz, but we are talking the merest mm or so
degradation.

Hose the wall afterwards tho.

Cleaning Brickwork CA UK diy 3 March 5th 05 05:29 PM
water stains on kitchen ceiling along side chminey brickwork Chris Home Repair 0 February 24th 04 08:16 AM