DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning Brickwork (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/93805-cleaning-brickwork.html)

CA March 5th 05 12:00 PM

Cleaning Brickwork

Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Thanks

Craig

John Rumm March 5th 05 01:17 PM

CA wrote:

Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Brick acid... designed for the job, from a builders merchant.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stuart Noble March 5th 05 03:59 PM

"CA" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Depends how soft they are. Here in SE London the reds are usually easy to
clean with just a 4" scraper. A wire brush would ruin the surface. They're
also very absorbent, and acid soaking into them wouldn't be a good idea.
Then again, some of the other colours are like granite.

Rob Morley March 5th 05 05:29 PM

In article , "Stuart Noble"
says...

"CA" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've recently bought a new house with red brick exterior.
However there is a lot of cement stuck to parts of the brickwork due
to an untidy bricklayer. Is there any way I can clean the cement off
the red brickwork using some sort of cleaner solution / wire brush
etc?

Depends how soft they are. Here in SE London the reds are usually easy to
clean with just a 4" scraper. A wire brush would ruin the surface. They're
also very absorbent, and acid soaking into them wouldn't be a good idea.

Those are common bricks. Finishing bricks should be harder and less
permeable. Having said that I think a lot of cheap houses were built
using common bricks where there should have been facing bricks.