DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stripping and painting cast-iron fireplaces (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/93634-stripping-painting-cast-iron-fireplaces.html)

DIY Novice March 4th 05 03:30 PM

Stripping and painting cast-iron fireplaces

We've got cast-iron fireplaces in each of our 3 bedrooms which have
serveral layers of paint on them which I want to remove.
We've just skimmed the bedroom walls so the fireplaces can't be
removed though we haven't yet painted(or carpeted) so a little mess
isn't such a big issue.

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.
I also don't want to spend weeks at the job as I've got a lot of other
stuff that needs doing.
I've seen this stuff called Home Strip from www.ecosolutions.co.uk
which sounds promising.
Has anybody used this successfully?
Also my other half would like to paint the fireplaces in white. What
type of paint would you recommend.
The house is Edwardian (1903) and the fireplaces will not be used to
burn anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Natural Philosopher March 4th 05 04:05 PM

DIY Novice wrote:

We've got cast-iron fireplaces in each of our 3 bedrooms which have
serveral layers of paint on them which I want to remove.
We've just skimmed the bedroom walls so the fireplaces can't be
removed though we haven't yet painted(or carpeted) so a little mess
isn't such a big issue.

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.

Your loss.

I also don't want to spend weeks at the job as I've got a lot of other
stuff that needs doing.

Youe problem

I've seen this stuff called Home Strip from www.ecosolutions.co.uk
which sounds promising.
Has anybody used this successfully?
Also my other half would like to paint the fireplaces in white. What
type of paint would you recommend.
The house is Edwardian (1903) and the fireplaces will not be used to
burn anything.

Your best bet ios to take them out and get them profesionally stripped.
Any mmetods you may use will not be as good, especially given your
rtaher (to me) winmpy attutude. Paint stripping dcast irion is ot a
question of a dust over with Mtr Sheen

Or sll themn to a reclaim yard in P/ex for some already stripped ones.

If I were doing painted cast irion, I'd phopshoric acid dip it to
stabilize, and powder coat in an industrial way, or use two pack car
paint on it for a gloss finnish, sprayed on. Take to local car fix shoppe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christian McArdle March 4th 05 04:40 PM

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.

Without Nitromors, you won't be successful. It's pretty hard work even with
Nitromors. There is no quick and easy solution, I'm afraid.

Christian.

Andy Dingley March 4th 05 04:50 PM

It was somewhere outside Barstow when (DIY Novice)
wrote:

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.

Read the thread "Grit blasting indoors". You'll need a compressor
(hire ?) .

Rip up drop cloths to control the flying dust and grit. The lead is no
real additional problem, just use the right sort of repsirator. You'll
also need a blasting hood, which you can buy or easily sew up.

[news] March 4th 05 05:00 PM

Christian McArdle wrote:
What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.

Without Nitromors, you won't be successful. It's pretty hard work even with
Nitromors. There is no quick and easy solution, I'm afraid.

Christian.

not true, there are 2 that I can think of, one of which I've done.

there are a few Lye based pastes that can be applied with a spatula and
covered with clingfilm, left for 24 hours and several layers of paint are
easily removed. it's a highly repetitive job amd some products don't do
what they say on the tin as well as you might imagine.

here's one that lets you order a sample, suck it and see http://tinyurl.com/7xcq6

obviously, the best way to strip cast iron is to sand/grit/bead blast which
is possible in situ but much easier if the fireplace is removed and once
it's removed it's deffo best to take it down to your local architectural
antiques yard to have it dipped, pressure washed and blacked*

buff it up with original Zebo for best effect.

RT

*guess which one I did

Rob Morley March 4th 05 06:31 PM

In article , "DIY
Novice" says...
We've got cast-iron fireplaces in each of our 3 bedrooms which have
serveral layers of paint on them which I want to remove.
We've just skimmed the bedroom walls so the fireplaces can't be
removed though we haven't yet painted(or carpeted) so a little mess
isn't such a big issue.

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.

Rip them out and take them to a shotblaster. Next time think of it
before you plaster the walls.

Owain March 4th 05 07:08 PM

DIY Novice wrote:
Also my other half would like to paint the fireplaces in white.

Ewww.

What type of paint would you recommend.

I would recommend a wipe with WD40 to stop them going rusty (as
deomonstrated on the BBC2 salvage programme), or grate blacking.

Owain

John Stumbles March 4th 05 08:48 PM

[news] wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.

Without Nitromors, you won't be successful. It's pretty hard work even with
Nitromors. There is no quick and easy solution, I'm afraid.

I didn't find nitromors much use. I got a lot off with Kling Strip
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STRKS/
but it didn't get right down into the crevices (maybe I didn't leave it
long enough). It was hard to apply, being very thick - like almost-set
plaster - and very difficult to get off since the fireplace was in-situ
and I couldn't hose or pressure-wash it down. I don't know if PeelAway 1
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/p/PALPA1/ would have been any
better, even Ronstrip.

A much better (an easier) result can be had by removing the fireplace. A
friend did this and put it on the bonfire on Nov 5th, and it came up
beautifully.

Even allowing for time to remove it, refit it and make good your plaster
I think this is possibly the way to go.

Stuart Noble March 5th 05 12:05 AM

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "DIY
Novice" says...
We've got cast-iron fireplaces in each of our 3 bedrooms which have
serveral layers of paint on them which I want to remove.
We've just skimmed the bedroom walls so the fireplaces can't be
removed though we haven't yet painted(or carpeted) so a little mess
isn't such a big issue.

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.

Rip them out and take them to a shotblaster. Next time think of it
before you plaster the walls.

Caustic dipping is probably the cheapest option. A coat of wax stops them
rusting

DIY Novice March 7th 05 12:16 AM

Thanks for your replies even the slightly sarcastic ones!

I tried the Home Strip stuff and was not impressed, it seems to only
remove one coat at a time and would take weeks of effort. (£8.50 down
the drain)

I then tried Peel Away 1 and it was superb. You apply generously with
a spatula and put a sheet of paper on top to stop it drying out. Leave
for 25 hours and the whole lot comes away beautifully. It works really
well on decorative areas where you can put a really thick layer. A
bucket of hot water , a scrubbing brush and a kitchen roll later and
it was almost complete.

A few spots remained on I dabbed a second layer and left for a few
hours before scrubbing off. It really is quite easy and very
satisfying.

If any of you are thinking of doing this give it a go before even
considering removing the fireplace to be sand blasted which definitely
seems to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

I've put some WD40 on it for the time being until I decide whether or
not to paint it and it looks really good.

Andy Dingley March 7th 05 01:59 AM

wrote:

I've put some WD40 on it for the time being until I decide whether or
not to paint it

FFS No !

Get a tin of Liberon's black patinating wax (Axminster have it) and
use that. It's no use on a fire that you light, but it's great for
one that stays cold.

If you are going to light it, get some Zebo (supermarket or hardware
shop - black and yellow tube). This is heatproof, but it can smear if
you lean against it.