Graham Jones

Default Balancing radiators, the lazy mans method?

Been meaning to balance my radiators for years. Gave it a go once but
messing about with fiddly thermometers did my head in. I tried a digital
one and clip on ones. Anyway while in the bath last night I came up with
a new method.

Why not by one thermometer, common or garden variety, for each radiator.
Place one thermometer on top of each radiator. Wait 15mins then do the
normal lock shield valve adjustment cycle until all thermometers read
the same.

Do flow and return temps really matter that much? Surely if the
radiators are the correct size for the room and they are all giving off
the same temp then they must be balanced!

Awaiting replies with interest!

Graham
Peter Scott

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
Why not by one thermometer, common or garden variety, for each radiator.
Place one thermometer on top of each radiator. Wait 15mins then do the
normal lock shield valve adjustment cycle until all thermometers read
the same.

Intriguing idea! You'd have to make sure that the thermal contact between
each thermometer and its radiator was the same- same position, same clip,
same conductive material etc. You can't rely just on radiated or convected
heat to give a reliable temp. Remember the inverse square law! Small
differences in separation distance can make a large difference in apparent
temp. The 'true' doesn't matter of course. You just want them all reading
the same. Alternatively you could get *one* infrared thermometer. These
respond quickly, though perhaps the radiator colour might affect the
readings?

Let us know how you get on.

Peter Scott

Ian Stirling

Graham Jones wrote:
Been meaning to balance my radiators for years. Gave it a go once but
messing about with fiddly thermometers did my head in. I tried a digital
one and clip on ones. Anyway while in the bath last night I came up with
a new method.

Why not by one thermometer, common or garden variety, for each radiator.
Place one thermometer on top of each radiator. Wait 15mins then do the
normal lock shield valve adjustment cycle until all thermometers read
the same.

Lidl/Aldi quite often have digital in/out thermometers at 2.99 each.
-20-70C is common.

fred

In article ,
Graham Jones writes

Why not by one thermometer, common or garden variety, for each radiator.
Place one thermometer on top of each radiator. Wait 15mins then do the
normal lock shield valve adjustment cycle until all thermometers read
the same.

Presumably with the thermometers at the top so you don't need to bend
over to read them ;-?

Unfortunately, any hot water coming into the rad at all (LSV full open or
nearly shut) will rise to the top making it hot and giving you a false
impression of how well your rad is heating the room. You are looking for a
feel of how much your rads are actually losing to the room (ie heating it),
so it is the exit temperature you need to be looking at. Fortunately you can
get a near guess to this by placing your thermometers near the bottom of
the rad near the exit valve (which may be the LSV or not). An extra
thermometer on the flow pipe somewhere in the system will make it all a
bit less of a bodge. A 10, 15 or 20 degree drop, depending on your boiler
type, between that single flow reading and your rad bottom temps should
give you a 'good enough' balance. Balancing means the system will work
at greatest efficiency and stand the best chance of reaching demand
temperature in all rooms on the coldest of days.

Sadly having the thermometers at the bottom of the rads will mean that
you need to bend down to read the temperatures ;-).

Do flow and return temps really matter that much?

Yes, the drop does, it is a measure of how much heat each radiator is
passing to the room.
Surely if the
radiators are the correct size for the room and they are all giving off
the same temp then they must be balanced!

Nope, a 500w rad with an open lockshield near the boiler (read pump) will
steal all the water (flow, heat) from a 3kw one 10m away no problem. It is
up to you to control the flow and therefore the heat output from each.

HTH
--
fred
Phil Addison

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:04:44 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Graham Jones
wrote:

Been meaning to balance my radiators for years. Gave it a go once but
messing about with fiddly thermometers did my head in. I tried a digital
one and clip on ones. Anyway while in the bath last night I came up with
a new method.

Why not by one thermometer, common or garden variety, for each radiator.
Place one thermometer on top of each radiator. Wait 15mins then do the
normal lock shield valve adjustment cycle until all thermometers read
the same.

Do flow and return temps really matter that much? Surely if the
radiators are the correct size for the room and they are all giving off
the same temp then they must be balanced!

Awaiting replies with interest!

Why not read the "Balancing Central Heating Systems" section of the FAQ
and then let us know if you still think the same?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Lazy Man's PC microphone adapter tempus fugit Electronics Repair 2 December 20th 04 05:23 PM
Balancing radiators Keith Moore UK diy 11 November 25th 04 08:23 PM
balancing radiators - is my boiler too small? Simon Langford UK diy 30 October 12th 04 05:48 PM
Balancing radiators AK UK diy 25 September 25th 04 09:51 PM
BALANCING radiators - Spelt right this time! Angela UK diy 12 December 3rd 03 11:39 PM