Mike Buckley

Default Outside wiring - why did i bother? More advice req...

Thanks to the advice on there I managed to fit an RCD spur and an
outdoor weather proof socket for my pond pump/lawnmower. However - all
of this seems to have gone down the pan as the bloody pond pump I've
bought has a 240v-24v transformer "only for indoor use"!!! What bloody
use is that?

Anybody got any ideas how I can weatherproof this? It's not going to be
left out permanently - it just needs to be weatherproof during the
summer months. I'm thinking upturned buried bucket under a dense bush -
any better ideas?

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
Owain

"Mike Buckley" wrote
| Thanks to the advice on there I managed to fit an RCD spur
| and an outdoor weather proof socket for my pond pump/lawnmower.
| However - all of this seems to have gone down the pan as
| the bloody pond pump I've bought has a 240v-24v transformer
| "only for indoor use"!!! What bloody use is that?
| Anybody got any ideas how I can weatherproof this? It's not
| going to be left out permanently - it just needs to be
| weatherproof during the summer months. I'm thinking upturned
| buried bucket under a dense bush - any better ideas?

A big IP rated plastic box with the cables in and out glanded. B&Q sell one
with a 'masterseal' style silicone cable entry, that's big enough for a
4-way socket strip and wall-warts for about £20 I think.

Raise it on a little post above ground level.

Owain

Peter

"Mike Buckley" wrote in message
Thanks to the advice on there I managed to fit an RCD spur and an
outdoor weather proof socket for my pond pump/lawnmower. However - all
of this seems to have gone down the pan as the bloody pond pump I've
bought has a 240v-24v transformer "only for indoor use"!!! What bloody
use is that?

Anybody got any ideas how I can weatherproof this? It's not going to be
left out permanently - it just needs to be weatherproof during the
summer months. I'm thinking upturned buried bucket under a dense bush -
any better ideas?

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley

TLC have a box see http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LBOPB.html at £24.50 +
VAT, there are also a range of smaller ones.

Peter

Grunff

Mike Buckley wrote:
Thanks to the advice on there I managed to fit an RCD spur and an
outdoor weather proof socket for my pond pump/lawnmower. However - all
of this seems to have gone down the pan as the bloody pond pump I've
bought has a 240v-24v transformer "only for indoor use"!!! What bloody
use is that?

Anybody got any ideas how I can weatherproof this? It's not going to be
left out permanently - it just needs to be weatherproof during the
summer months. I'm thinking upturned buried bucket under a dense bush -
any better ideas?

Easy - put the transformer inside where it will be safe and dry, and run
a 24v cable to the pump. You don't even need to rcd it. Much safer
arrangement all round.

If I was doing it, I'd fuse the 24v line at the transformer end then use
whatever cable I have at my disposal (making sure it can carry the
required current). Arctic flex works well.

--
Grunff
Lurch

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:44:13 +0100, Mike Buckley
strung together this:

Anybody got any ideas how I can weatherproof this? It's not going to be
left out permanently - it just needs to be weatherproof during the
summer months. I'm thinking upturned buried bucket under a dense bush -
any better ideas?

Stick it in a PVC adaptable box, that's what I usually tend to do when
wiring garden supplies up. Or buy a proper pump.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd