Bruce Ella

Default Conservatory Cowboy supplier

Wanted to warn anyone out there that might be considering buying a DIY
conservatory from u-fit.co.uk (also known as armstrong industries)
these guys reallyu are a bunch of cowboys. They make all sorts of
great sounding promises and one at a time break them.

My endeavor went as such.
I quite enjoyed building a 4m workshop, and decided as my next project
would build a conservatory. This was an ambitious project, as I
haven't done anything at that level before. THe base was already
built by the previous owner, who never got around to building the
conservatory.

I did much looking around and u-fit.co.uk had a similar spec to the 2
other quotes (synseal shield conservatory, Pilkington double galzing &
35mm PVC roof.
The balance tipped toward these guys as they were quite a bit cheaper
(£2600 compared to £3400), they promised "comprehensive, but simple,
fitting guidelines", lots of advice if necessary, and also a loan,
where it is interest free with no payments for 1st 12 months (similar
to offered by many furniture companies).
Delivery was advertised as "We fulfil 99% of all orders within 28 days
days" and "free delivery".

at the time of ordering I empahsised to them the importance of
delivery during a particular week (4 weeks after the order was placed)
as I had booked leave so I could receive the order, and start
building.

A few days before the week I was expecting the delivery I received a
letter to say that delivery had been arranged for 2 weeks after this,
and if nobody was available to help unpack they would charge for
another delivery!

I phoned to tell them to cancel as this was unacceptable, but they
refused, saying that it was already in manufacture. (I took legal
advice, and the lawyer said that to cancel I would have to prove that
the contract included delivery on a particular date, which at a push I
might be able to do, but with difficulty. ) They agreed to deliver a
few days earlier (Fri instead of Monday).

when the conservatory arrived, the "comprehensive instructions"
consisted of a single A3 page, which certainly wasn't simple or
comprehensive. Since my wife had to sign for it (neighbour helped
unpack (I planned to be home, but their promise of 1st thing, turned
out to be 13h00 - and I had to go back to work)

they did not leave a breakdown of what was there, or even label the
items so I could figure out which bits were which, and where they go.

There were many frusrating phone calls and emails that nobody could be
bothered to return.

so whatever you do, don't use armstrong industries / u-fit.co.uk based
in coventry... they won't keep any of there promises.
Toby

Bruce Ella wrote:
Wanted to warn anyone out there that might be considering buying a DIY
conservatory from u-fit.co.uk (also known as armstrong industries)
these guys reallyu are a bunch of cowboys. They make all sorts of
great sounding promises and one at a time break them.

My sympathies.
Although no help now, they did a fly on the wall piece about them on BBC2 I
think, mainly about their inability to organise the staff Christmas party.
The bosses wife, or director to give her official role, was permanently
swooning over new Bentley brochures. The boss was reluctant to put his hand
in his pocket for the smallest thing, the staff kept disappearing, and the
commission driven sales team typified the breed.

To my mind, a wooden conservatory seems easier to diy, and for others out
there Baltic Pine seem to get many recommendations locally and have been
given the thumbs up here.

--
Toby.

Derek

My sympathies.
Although no help now, they did a fly on the wall piece about them on BBC2 I
think, mainly about their inability to organise the staff Christmas party.
The bosses wife, or director to give her official role, was permanently
swooning over new Bentley brochures. The boss was reluctant to put his hand
in his pocket for the smallest thing, the staff kept disappearing, and the
commission driven sales team typified the breed.

I saw that programme! I thought it was a "The Office" rip-off comedy! It
took me a half an hour before I realised the characters were real people!
The husband was the stingiest man on the planet, and the wife was bats!
She spent most of her time spying on the staff with security cameras and
the sales people were mentally abused to meet outrageous targets.

I would feel pity for the people working there and I would shop elsewhere.