DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does anyone know if a short bodies electric drill exists? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/92481-does-anyone-know-if-short-bodies-electric-drill-exists.html)

Peter February 23rd 05 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if a short bodies electric drill exists?

I am looking for a short bodied power drill. It can be wide but it
must be shorter than10cm (including whatever chuck is fitted)

I know of special flat motors, sometimes called 'pancake motors so I
guess somewhere someone has used one of these to make a stubby drill.

Can anyone shed any further light on this please?

Jeff February 23rd 05 02:47 PM

Peter wrote :-

I am looking for a short bodied power drill. It can be wide but it
must be shorter than10cm (including whatever chuck is fitted)

snip

Right Angle drill ?

Regards Jeff

Lobster February 23rd 05 02:50 PM

Peter wrote:
I am looking for a short bodied power drill. It can be wide but it
must be shorter than10cm (including whatever chuck is fitted)

I know of special flat motors, sometimes called 'pancake motors so I
guess somewhere someone has used one of these to make a stubby drill.

This sort of thing? Or still too deep?

David

Ian Stirling February 23rd 05 05:50 PM

Jeff wrote:

Peter wrote :-

I am looking for a short bodied power drill. It can be wide but it
must be shorter than10cm (including whatever chuck is fitted)

snip

Right Angle drill ?

I have for one job, used a right-angle screwdriver adaptor, to drill
15mm holes using a spade bit.
It gets warm, and I have doubts it'd last for more than a few holes.

[email protected] February 23rd 05 06:14 PM

Peter wrote:
I am looking for a short bodied power drill. It can be wide but it
must be shorter than10cm (including whatever chuck is fitted)

I know of special flat motors, sometimes called 'pancake motors so I
guess somewhere someone has used one of these to make a stubby drill.

Can anyone shed any further light on this please?

FOr the ultimate in shortness I'd get a pancake motor and grind a
cutting point on its shaft. total length, including bit, under an inch.

Wont drill very far of course... :)

NT

Peter February 24th 05 12:03 PM

FOr the ultimate in shortness I'd get a pancake motor and grind a
cutting point on its shaft. total length, including bit, under an inch.

This would be nice! I don't need to drill. I want a really squat
rotary sander but not the type described as 'orbital'

I needs one that forcefully spins rather than vibrates as the target
material is jelly-like and just absorbs the vibration displacement of
that type of sander.

Ian Stirling February 24th 05 01:37 PM

Peter wrote:
FOr the ultimate in shortness I'd get a pancake motor and grind a
cutting point on its shaft. total length, including bit, under an inch.

This would be nice! I don't need to drill. I want a really squat
rotary sander but not the type described as 'orbital'

I needs one that forcefully spins rather than vibrates as the target
material is jelly-like and just absorbs the vibration displacement of
that type of sander.

Angle grinder?
Maybe one with a carbide grit disk.
It can melt and spray 'jelly-like' stuff quite well.

[email protected] February 24th 05 04:05 PM

Peter wrote:
FOr the ultimate in shortness I'd get a pancake motor and grind a
cutting point on its shaft. total length, including bit, under an

inch.

This would be nice! I don't need to drill. I want a really squat
rotary sander but not the type described as 'orbital'

I needs one that forcefully spins rather than vibrates as the target
material is jelly-like and just absorbs the vibration displacement of
that type of sander.

For an easy life you can get belt sanders with an sticking-out sanding
arm, well under 4". Look in screwfix cat for pics.

NT

Rob Morley February 24th 05 06:26 PM

In article , "Peter"
says...
FOr the ultimate in shortness I'd get a pancake motor and grind a
cutting point on its shaft. total length, including bit, under an inch.

This would be nice! I don't need to drill. I want a really squat
rotary sander but not the type described as 'orbital'

I needs one that forcefully spins rather than vibrates as the target
material is jelly-like and just absorbs the vibration displacement of
that type of sander.

How about something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12879

Peter February 25th 05 01:06 AM