DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Parking Bays (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/91875-parking-bays.html)

Magician February 19th 05 02:58 PM

Parking Bays

Hi

Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

I'm re designing my drive & I'd like to get a Fiesta & an Astra (both
5' wide) side by side on what would end up as a 15' wide space. I'm
wondering about doors & access.

Dave

Frank Erskine February 19th 05 03:15 PM

On 19 Feb 2005 06:58:59 -0800, "Magician"
wrote:

Hi

Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

How long is a piece of string?

I'm sure there isn't a "standard" size bay - some are hardly wide
enough for a mini, others (even apart from 'disabled' bays) are wide
enough to let you open doors wide on either side.

--
Frank Erskine

Dave Plowman (News) February 19th 05 03:19 PM

In article .com,
Magician wrote:
Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

Too small, judging by the dents on my car.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

4square February 19th 05 04:59 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Magician wrote:
Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other

words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

Too small, judging by the dents on my car.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Most parking bays on new developments are 4.8m by 2.4m, which is
conversion from 16 feet by 8 feet.

nightjar February 19th 05 04:59 PM

"Magician" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bm.gif
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bn.gif

Colin Bignell

Lurch February 19th 05 05:08 PM

On 19 Feb 2005 08:59:43 -0800, "4square"
strung together this:

Most parking bays on new developments are 4.8m by 2.4m, which is
conversion from 16 feet by 8 feet.

Would that be 14.4m x 7.2m?
--

SJW

The Natural Philosopher February 19th 05 05:17 PM

Magician wrote:

Hi

Anyone know the standard size of a car parking space? In other words,
how big are the bays in a public car park?

2.5m x 4m is recommended IIRC

3.5m x 5m is better if you can afford the space.

I'm re designing my drive & I'd like to get a Fiesta & an Astra (both
5' wide) side by side on what would end up as a 15' wide space. I'm
wondering about doors & access.

Its doable. Just.

Funnily enough, ended up with a couole of dinky toys at 1/48 scale, and
a 1:50 plan, playing vroom vroom to see if my drive would work.

By and large, it does.

Dave

Harry Bloomfield February 19th 05 08:31 PM

Magician formulated the question :
I'm re designing my drive & I'd like to get a Fiesta & an Astra (both
5' wide) side by side on what would end up as a 15' wide space. I'm
wondering about doors & access.

Park them nose to tail - passenger side close to passenger side, then
you will have plenty of room for the drivers to get in and out.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Lurch February 19th 05 09:38 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:09:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

Most parking bays on new developments are 4.8m by 2.4m, which is
conversion from 16 feet by 8 feet.

Would that be 14.4m x 7.2m?

No.

Think about it a bit more.
--

SJW

Harvey Van Sickle February 19th 05 10:07 PM

On 19 Feb 2005, Lurch wrote

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:09:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

Most parking bays on new developments are 4.8m by 2.4m, which is
conversion from 16 feet by 8 feet.

Would that be 14.4m x 7.2m?

No.

Think about it a bit more.

I'm thinking...OK, I give up.

In what system does 16 x 8 feet convert to 14.4m x 7.2m? (I'd make the
latter 47.25 x 23.5 feet; let us in on what you're talking about.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Andy Burns February 19th 05 10:17 PM

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

let us in on what you're talking about.)

Multiply by the number of times 4square pressed send?

Lurch February 19th 05 10:53 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:17:23 +0000, Andy Burns
strung together this:

Multiply by the number of times 4square pressed send?

Well done that man, one balloon on a stick on it's way.
--

SJW

Andy Wade February 20th 05 12:54 AM

Lurch wrote:

Well done that man, one balloon on a stick on it's way.

It might bounce back rejected with a spurious apostrophe attached.

--
Andy

Lurch February 20th 05 11:53 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:54:16 +0000, Andy Wade
strung together this:

Lurch wrote:

Well done that man, one balloon on a stick on its way.

It might bounce back rejected with a spurious apostrophe attached.

Oops! ;-)
--

SJW

Christian McArdle February 21st 05 09:45 AM

I'm re designing my drive & I'd like to get a Fiesta & an Astra (both
5' wide) side by side on what would end up as a 15' wide space. I'm
wondering about doors & access.

According to Wokingham District Council's planning department, 2.4m x 4.8m.

Christian.