tone

Default combi-boiler placement, and other questions....

Am looking to purchase a house that has a part finished extension.

The extension has the walls completed (But not plastered internally), the
windows are in and the roof is on... so it's and empty shell.

Now, I'm guessing that the current (6 yr old) boiler might not be man enough
to drive the 4 new radiators we'll put into the extension (2 rooms x 2
floors) so we would like to replace it with a brand new combi.

Question is..

current boiler is downstairs, and hot water tank is in the bathroom...
Could the new combi-boiler be installed downstairs or do they need to be
upstairs as they are gravity fed (or not?)...

Now...

If we can remove hot water tank from bathroom, and move things around a
bit....

Then I'd like to use both of the new upstairs rooms as bedrooms, not using
one as a 2nd bathroom like the plans show. If I dont wish to complete the
extension (internally only) the same way as plans showed, do I have to
inform the locally planning dept etc.... or is that just for external stuff?

BillR

tone wrote:
Am looking to purchase a house that has a part finished extension.

The extension has the walls completed (But not plastered internally),
the windows are in and the roof is on... so it's and empty shell.

Now, I'm guessing that the current (6 yr old) boiler might not be man
enough to drive the 4 new radiators we'll put into the extension (2
rooms x 2 floors) so we would like to replace it with a brand new
combi.

Question is..

current boiler is downstairs, and hot water tank is in the bathroom...
Could the new combi-boiler be installed downstairs or do they need to
be upstairs as they are gravity fed (or not?)...

Combi boilers aren't gravity fed they are pressuried systems. They are
normally fitted downstairs
Now...

If we can remove hot water tank from bathroom, and move things around
a bit....

If you want to remove the hot water cylinder ( which you can keep even with
a combi) then you want to go for a higher powered combi than the basic 24kW
else you hot water flow rate wil be dissapointing in a larger property.

Then I'd like to use both of the new upstairs rooms as bedrooms, not
using one as a 2nd bathroom like the plans show. If I dont wish to
complete the extension (internally only) the same way as plans
showed, do I have to inform the locally planning dept etc.... or is
that just for external stuff?

Don't know what the actual regs are now but this is what I did some years
ago.
I would have thought they wouldn't care so long as all modern building regs
have been met.

IMM

"tone" wrote in message
Am looking to purchase a house that has a part finished extension.

The extension has the walls completed (But not plastered internally), the
windows are in and the roof is on... so it's and empty shell.

Now, I'm guessing that the current (6 yr old) boiler might not be man

enough
to drive the 4 new radiators we'll put into the extension (2 rooms x 2
floors) so we would like to replace it with a brand new combi.

Question is..

current boiler is downstairs, and hot water tank is in the bathroom...
Could the new combi-boiler be installed downstairs or do they need to be
upstairs as they are gravity fed (or not?)...

Combi's are pressurised, so can go anywhere, even down the garden if you
like.,

Now...

If we can remove hot water tank from bathroom, and move things around a
bit....

Then I'd like to use both of the new upstairs rooms as bedrooms, not

using
one as a 2nd bathroom like the plans show. If I dont wish to complete the
extension (internally only) the same way as plans showed, do I have to
inform the locally planning dept etc.... or is that just for external

stuff?

Not sure on that. Maybe someone else can answer that.

---