DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   socket from the ring main (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/91327-socket-ring-main.html)

Richard February 15th 05 07:12 PM

socket from the ring main

Hello all

another question:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Gary Cavie February 15th 05 07:41 PM

In article ,
says...
Hello all

another question:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Get yourself a volt stick, check it bleeps before you turn off the
breaker for the ring main, check it doesn't bleep when you have turned
off the relevant breaker, then check again that it bleeps when you turn
the breaker back on. If you have adjustable sensitivity on it, set it
right to the minimum before carrying out these tests.

Alternatively, turn off the breaker for the ring main, get a heavily
insulated pair of cutters, place against cable, shut eyes, pray, hope,
and cut ;-) (Don't really do this!!!!!)

Lurch February 15th 05 08:25 PM

On 15 Feb 2005 11:12:13 -0800, (Richard) strung
together this:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

Buy a volt stick, a decent one, Fluke or MK or similarly branded.

Observe usual testing safety precautions.

Turn off all circuits, except the ring main. If the cable under the
floor that you found is still live, it's the ring, if it's dead, it's
not.

You will also want to check that it is actually part of the ring, and
not a spur from the ring before connecting anything to it. To do this
you'll have to cut it and test it.

A cheaper way is to turn of all power at the CU, cut the cable and
make it off into a JB, repower the installation and test as above but
with a multimeter at the junction box. If it's on the ring, add the
new cable to it, if it's not, put the lid on and find the ring.

Repeat as neccesary.
--

SJW

Owain February 15th 05 09:06 PM

"Lurch" wrote
| You will also want to check that it is actually part of the ring, and
| not a spur from the ring before connecting anything to it. To do this
| you'll have to cut it and test it.
| A cheaper way is to turn of all power at the CU, cut the cable and
| make it off into a JB, repower the installation and test as above but
| with a multimeter at the junction box. If it's on the ring, add the
| new cable to it, if it's not, put the lid on and find the ring.

I think a slightly clearer way of putting that is "cut the cable and make it
off into a separate junction box for each end (or a 4-terminal with the two
lives separated, N and E), turn back on. If both ends are live it's on the
ring, if one end is live and one dead that is the supply and load side of a
spur"

Owain

brugnospamsia February 15th 05 09:11 PM

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

yep - especially if you have an RCD - switching off the LIVE isn't enough !

Alan Holmes February 25th 05 06:30 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
Hello all

another question:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

Once you have satisfied yourself that you have found the right cable,
do not cut it.

Connection boxes for ring mains have just three connections, remove
the outside covering from the cable just enough to be able to seperate
each wire, being careful not to cut the insulation on each cable, at
least not yet.

Lay the cable across the junction box so you can see where the
connections will be, carefully strip a small section of the insulation
on each wire just where it will be pushed into the connectors.

Strip the ends of your extension and put each wire into the connector
with right coloured wire already in, tighten the screws, put the lid
back on, job done,

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

TIA

Cheers

Richard