Zipadee Doodar

Default cutting lath and plaster

Greetings.

My loft hatch is right at the top of the stairs, and so for safety, I intend
to open a new hatch further along the landing. I am OK with supporting,
cutting out and reinstating the joist in the loft, but need advice regarding
cutting the lath and plaster ceiling to give a reasonable clean line, and
without bringing chunks down all around. I know architrave will cover minor
rough edges, but to make it more complicated, the ceiling is covered in
artex so I want to avoid having to reinstate as much as possible.

All advice gratefully received.

John Stumbles

Zipadee Doodar wrote:
Greetings.

My loft hatch is right at the top of the stairs, and so for safety, I intend
to open a new hatch further along the landing. I am OK with supporting,
cutting out and reinstating the joist in the loft, but need advice regarding
cutting the lath and plaster ceiling to give a reasonable clean line, and
without bringing chunks down all around. I know architrave will cover minor
rough edges, but to make it more complicated, the ceiling is covered in
artex so I want to avoid having to reinstate as much as possible.

You could cut through the plaster layer with an angle grinder with a
masonry blade (preferably diamond - they're cheap enough). You could
even cut through the laths with this too but it'll kick up a smell of
charring wood (to go with the clouds of plaster dust :-)

Zipadee Doodar wrote:
Greetings.

My loft hatch is right at the top of the stairs, and so for safety, I

intend
to open a new hatch further along the landing. I am OK with

supporting,
cutting out and reinstating the joist in the loft, but need advice

regarding
cutting the lath and plaster ceiling to give a reasonable clean line,

and
without bringing chunks down all around. I know architrave will cover

minor
rough edges, but to make it more complicated, the ceiling is covered

in
artex so I want to avoid having to reinstate as much as possible.

All advice gratefully received.

expect a mess beyond human comprehension, with anything left in the
area totally ruined.

NT

re the mess, i expect pvaing the ceilnig topside before beginning work
would help quite a lot.

NT

bill

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
Greetings.

My loft hatch is right at the top of the stairs, and so for safety, I

intend
to open a new hatch further along the landing. I am OK with supporting,
cutting out and reinstating the joist in the loft, but need advice

regarding
cutting the lath and plaster ceiling to give a reasonable clean line, and
without bringing chunks down all around. I know architrave will cover

minor
rough edges, but to make it more complicated, the ceiling is covered in
artex so I want to avoid having to reinstate as much as possible.

All advice gratefully received.

make a wooden frame for the hole you are going to cut out

screw the frame through the ceiling to the joints and tight as possible

cut the hole out inside the frame

The Natural Philosopher

Zipadee Doodar wrote:

Greetings.

My loft hatch is right at the top of the stairs, and so for safety, I intend
to open a new hatch further along the landing. I am OK with supporting,
cutting out and reinstating the joist in the loft, but need advice regarding
cutting the lath and plaster ceiling to give a reasonable clean line, and
without bringing chunks down all around. I know architrave will cover minor
rough edges, but to make it more complicated, the ceiling is covered in
artex so I want to avoid having to reinstate as much as possible.

Jigsaw aint bad. Ther is another saw a bit like a jigsaw that is even
beter, sort of electric padsaw.

Fprghet whats its called.

All advice gratefully received.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Jigsaw aint bad. Ther is another saw a bit like a jigsaw that is even
beter, sort of electric padsaw.

Fprghet whats its called.

Reciprocating saw?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)