John Wilson

Default Removal of Tree

There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land.. gutters/mess/wasps.

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

TIA......

Lobster

John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land.. gutters/mess/wasps.

So whose land *is* it on? Neighbour? Council?

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

For starters, have a chat to the trees owners and sound them out as to
what they think about it?

David

Ian Stirling

John Wilson wrote:
it's on council land

all the neighbours want rid of it

Well, I'd start with a letter to the council asking if it would be possible
to remove the tree.
Perhaps include a map of the area, with the signatures of the houseowners
indicated as to which house they are in, to make it crystal clear.

mrcheerful

"John Wilson" wrote in message
There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

If it is forty feet tall then it might end up with a tree preservation order
on it, so be careful. In your position, I would club together with
neighbours and get a tree firm in to remove it ASAP. Personally I would
take a chain saw and a land rover to it, but for most people a large tree is
a dangerous proposition.

mrcheerful

John Wilson

If it is forty feet tall then it might end up with a tree preservation
order on it, so be careful. In your position, I would club together with
neighbours and get a tree firm in to remove it ASAP. Personally I would
take a chain saw and a land rover to it, but for most people a large tree
is a dangerous proposition.

mrcheerful

I tried that but no one else wanted to chip in :-(

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

John Wilson wrote:
I just phoned them there, they said that someone will come out and
have a look at it soon

Oh dear. I've found that it's not usually a good idea to do things the right
way as far as councils are concerned, and now they know you want it gone
they'll kick up a right fuss if they say it's ok and then it disappears.

I hope they decide it can be removed!

Si

John Wilson

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Oh dear. I've found that it's not usually a good idea to do things the
right way as far as councils are concerned, and now they know you want it
gone they'll kick up a right fuss if they say it's ok and then it
disappears.

I hope they decide it can be removed!

Si

yeah I hope so aswell mate, if they say it's ok then I'm sure the tree might
have a little accident ;-)

I'll soon find out though once they pop round to see it

Lee

John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house
It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land.. gutters/mess/wasps.
It's at least 40 feet tall
What is my options to get rid of it

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting
to get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO
on it.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

John Wilson

"Lee" wrote in message
John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house
It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.
It's at least 40 feet tall
What is my options to get rid of it

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting to
get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO on
it.

Lee
--

TPO???

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/ clean
the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Ian Stirling

John Wilson wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house
It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.
It's at least 40 feet tall
What is my options to get rid of it

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting to
get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO on
it.

TPO???

Tree Protection Order.
Basically, listing a tree, so that it can't legally be removed.

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/ clean
the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

John

"Lobster" wrote in message
John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.

So whose land *is* it on? Neighbour? Council?

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

For starters, have a chat to the trees owners and sound them out as to
what they think about it?

David

Write to the council stating that it is causing structural instability to
your dwelling and they will be held responsible if further damage occurs.
You could also surreptitiously drill into the top of the bole and inject
serious quantities of brushwood killer which will make the tree VERY sick
(but slowly)

mike ring

"John Wilson" wrote in
:

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for
wanting to get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they
slap a TPO on it.

Lee
--

Trees are wonderful things and I wish there were a lot more of them - in
woods and forests.

mike
The Natural Philosopher

John Wilson wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message

John Wilson wrote:

There is a large tree outside my house
It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.
It's at least 40 feet tall
What is my options to get rid of it

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting to
get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO on
it.

Lee
--

TPO???

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/ clean
the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

I do, but thats a different story,

You coudl always move and let teh tree do its thing.

Besides, who cares about wasps anyway?

They won't sting unless you mash em, and any kid who does will learn not
to do it again.

Old Bill

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Wilson wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message

John Wilson wrote:

[...]

A TPO can't be sustained when the safety of the properties is
compromised. I'm in a similar situation with 2 large oak trees that are
quite scarey when they are in full leaf and there is a gale. The council
were quite happy to defend the TPOs when they thought the trees were on
a neighbour's land. However when it was pointed out the trees were on
council owned land and they'd better check with their insurers ... they
started to back down.
If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're
unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if
you break a TPO.
Andrew Chesters

mike ring wrote:
"John Wilson" wrote in
:

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for
wanting to get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they
slap a TPO on it.

Lee
--

Trees are wonderful things and I wish there were a lot more of them - in
woods and forests.

mike

Trees make a huge difference to the quality of air in cities; never mind
the aesthetic benefits they give. I'll give you that they CAN be a
problem if sited too close to buildings & drains, but if you chop one
down, be a good citizen and plant ten to replace it!
John Wilson

"Old Bill" wrote in message
A TPO can't be sustained when the safety of the properties is compromised.
I'm in a similar situation with 2 large oak trees that are quite scarey
when they are in full leaf and there is a gale. The council were quite
happy to defend the TPOs when they thought the trees were on a neighbour's
land. However when it was pointed out the trees were on council owned land
and they'd better check with their insurers ... they started to back down.
If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're
unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if you
break a TPO.

yeah but how will they know it was me that broke it??? I mean it could be
anyone of the 8 houses that it bothers

Tony Bryer

In article , Andrew Chesters
wrote:
Trees make a huge difference to the quality of air in cities;
never mind the aesthetic benefits they give.

And disbenefits. Plant some along your northern boundary and you
can enjoy them whilst your neighbour's garden is ruined by shade
and roots.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Lee

Old Bill wrote:

If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're
unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if
you break a TPO.

I wouldn't argue at all if it was a safety issue, or a safety-related
issue of obstruction.
But it does annoy me when people want an existing mature tree removed
just because it's "inconvenient".

Though it may be possible to get the council to "trim" it a bit, they
have butchered quite a few mature trees round here

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Mary Fisher

"Lee" wrote in message
John Wilson wrote:
There is a large tree outside my house
It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land..
gutters/mess/wasps.
It's at least 40 feet tall
What is my options to get rid of it

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting to
get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO on
it.

Lee
--

TPO???

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

I can't seewhy wasps should go to one tree and not the others.

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/ clean
the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Park the car somewhere else.

Mary Fisher

"Old Bill" wrote in message
A TPO can't be sustained when the safety of the properties is
compromised. I'm in a similar situation with 2 large oak trees that are
quite scarey when they are in full leaf and there is a gale. The council
were quite happy to defend the TPOs when they thought the trees were on a
neighbour's land. However when it was pointed out the trees were on
council owned land and they'd better check with their insurers ... they
started to back down.
If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're
unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if you
break a TPO.

yeah but how will they know it was me that broke it??? I mean it could be
anyone of the 8 houses that it bothers

If the tree is so large (although you don't say what kind it is) it ws
probably there when you and your neighbours moved in.

Mary Fisher

"Lee" wrote in message
Old Bill wrote:

If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're
unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if you
break a TPO.

I wouldn't argue at all if it was a safety issue, or a safety-related
issue of obstruction.
But it does annoy me when people want an existing mature tree removed just
because it's "inconvenient".

I agree 100%.

Especially when it's probably been there longer than the complainers.

John Wilson

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

It's not nice to see your kids scared because of wasps and not wanting to go
outside because there is lots of them

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

I can't seewhy wasps should go to one tree and not the others.

The other trees are at the back of the house and not at the side play area

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/
clean the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Park the car somewhere else.

Park elsewhere..... I live in a town and cant risk leaving my car elsewhere
Why should I move the car elsewhere since it's my house

Had a tree surgeon out at the tree yesterday and he said that the tree is
old and needs to come down asap

Mary Fisher

"John Wilson" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

It's not nice to see your kids scared because of wasps and not wanting to
go outside because there is lots of them

The wasps aren't interested in your kids. They're interested in their own.

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

I can't see why wasps should go to one tree and not the others.

The other trees are at the back of the house and not at the side play area

And you think wasps know the difference? Or care?

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/
clean the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Park the car somewhere else.

Park elsewhere..... I live in a town and cant risk leaving my car
elsewhere
Why should I move the car elsewhere since it's my house

Which one of those is the reason?

Had a tree surgeon out at the tree yesterday and he said that the tree is
old and needs to come down asap

He would, wouldn't he!

Tony Williams

In article ,

Had a tree surgeon out at the tree yesterday and he said that the
tree is old and needs to come down asap

I planted an Oak tree, (every man should plant one,
very satisfying), but 15 years later it had got
very large, and antisocial. So I beheaded it, to
a single trunk, about 10ft tall. It has grown
back into a nice shape.

Oak is one of those trees that is able to spring
new buds from old bark, provided it is pruned in
the dormant season. Not much time left do do that
this season. though.

--
Tony Williams.
John Wilson

Look the tree is coming down end off...... you want my address and you can
come hug the tree before it's gone???

Mary Fisher

"John Wilson" wrote in message
Look the tree is coming down end off......

Why does that not surprise me!

It will certainly get rid of the wasp 'problem' ...

chortle

you want my address and you can come hug the tree before it's gone???

Hug a tree? What a strange concept.

Mary Fisher

"John Wilson" wrote in message

this tree isn't a rare tree..... just a normal everyday tree

What is a normal everyday tree?

Oaks are very common. Certainly not rare.

nothing nice to look at either

That's a subjective opinion.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Rob Morley
writes
In article , "John Wilson"
says...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

It's not nice to see your kids scared because of wasps and not wanting to go
outside because there is lots of them

Then you shouldn't have brought them up to be scared of something
that is less dangerous than junk food and crossing the road, should
you?

It's funny, but my children are also scared of wasps and other flying
and crawling things, and they have certainly never been taught that
insects are bad or dangerous. Us parents don't run screaming when we see
one. I can only think it is an inbuilt danger reaction to the unknown or
something. No doubt the psychologists can explain it.
--
Tim Mitchell
Tim S

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:44:18 +0000, Tim Mitchell wrote:

In article , Rob Morley
writes
In article , "John Wilson"
says...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

It's not nice to see your kids scared because of wasps and not wanting
to go outside because there is lots of them

Then you shouldn't have brought them up to be scared of something that
is less dangerous than junk food and crossing the road, should you?

It's funny, but my children are also scared of wasps and other flying
and crawling things, and they have certainly never been taught that
insects are bad or dangerous. Us parents don't run screaming when we see
one. I can only think it is an inbuilt danger reaction to the unknown or
something. No doubt the psychologists can explain it.

Wasps are stripy yellow (=danger), buzzy and string like little b*ggers if
annoyed, unlike bees which have to be pushed quite hard to sting and it
hurts a lot if you're little. Scared the knees off me when I was little
(though, not as much as hornets, now *they* are total b*st*rds).

Tim
Mary Fisher

"Tim S" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:44:18 +0000, Tim Mitchell wrote:

Wasps are stripy yellow (=danger), buzzy and string like little b*ggers if
annoyed,

But you have to annoy them.

unlike bees which have to be pushed quite hard to sting

Oh no they don't - honeybees are swifter to sting than wasps and can be
'annoyed' more easily than wasps.

and it
hurts a lot if you're little.

It hurts just as much if you're big. I could die if I'm stung but I'm not
afraid of either wasps or bees. I just don't provoke them.

Scared the knees off me when I was little
(though, not as much as hornets, now *they* are total b*st*rds).

Not true, they're far slower to be provoked than wasps.

Mary

Tim

The Natural Philosopher

John Wilson wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

Course they can. They're far bigger than the wasps.

It's not nice to see your kids scared because of wasps and not wanting to go
outside because there is lots of them

Oh dear oh dear. Can't have little johhny feeling that anything in the
world might hurt him can we?

So he feels safe enough to run across a wasp free motorway at the age of
seven?

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

I can't seewhy wasps should go to one tree and not the others.

The other trees are at the back of the house and not at the side play area

A side play area no less? Blimey, in my day we had gardens, complete
with trees to fall out of, flowers to make you sneeze, nettles wasps
and bees to sting you, bits of stone to cut your knees on and a ditch
to drown guiniea pigs in.

Not to mention the friends gravel drive to end up embedded in your
elbows as you tried to do racing turns on your pushbike.

Do you know, you are too stupid to even live in suburbia, let alone the
country.. Go back to living in a high rise flat.

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/
clean the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Park the car somewhere else.

Park elsewhere..... I live in a town and cant risk leaving my car elsewhere
Why should I move the car elsewhere since it's my house

Had a tree surgeon out at the tree yesterday and he said that the tree is
old and needs to come down asap

The Natural Philosopher

John Wilson wrote:

Look the tree is coming down end off...... you want my address and you can
come hug the tree before it's gone???

Nah. I want to bring round a few dead rabbits and a few live wasps.
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Wilson" wrote in message

this tree isn't a rare tree..... just a normal everyday tree

What is a normal everyday tree?

Leylandii?

Oaks are very common. Certainly not rare.

Certainly not raee.

Elm, now , that IS rare these days.

nothing nice to look at either

That's a subjective opinion.

Pete C

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:01:17 GMT, "John Wilson"
wrote:

There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land.. gutters/mess/wasps.

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

TIA......

Hi,

I doubt the wasps are anything to do with the tree, why do your
neighbours not like it either?

Don't worry about the car, it'll be scrap sometime in the not too
distant future...

cheers,
Pete.
Tim S

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:20:10 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Tim S" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:44:18 +0000, Tim Mitchell wrote:

Wasps are stripy yellow (=danger), buzzy and string like little b*ggers if
annoyed,

But you have to annoy them.

Kids can do that without mal-aforethought, just 'cos they don't know the
dangers.

unlike bees which have to be pushed quite hard to sting

Don't bees do themselves some serious injury when they sting (and they can
only do it once in their lives) because their sting is barbed and comes
detached from their little bodies? At least that's what we learnt in
biology. So there's some incentive for bees not to sting unless they are
really frightened.

Oh no they don't - honeybees are swifter to sting than wasps and can be
'annoyed' more easily than wasps.

and it
hurts a lot if you're little.

It hurts just as much if you're big. I could die if I'm stung but I'm not
afraid of either wasps or bees. I just don't provoke them.

Well, I suppose it does hurt as much. Just I'm not fundamentally so scared
of a little sting as I don't get much reaction from it. But being little
makes it way more scary.

Scared the knees off me when I was little
(though, not as much as hornets, now *they* are total b*st*rds).

Not true, they're far slower to be provoked than wasps.

Hmm. We'll have to disagree there, they scared the cr*p out of me when
they chased me from a rubbish bin in the New Forest one summer when I was
10.

To me, and you'll hate me for this, wasps=pointless and nasty, splat 'em.
Hornets=pointless and even nastier, splat 'em. Bees=honey=nice and not
at all pointless so I'm more forgiving of them, and I don't believe them
to be as fundamentally evil as wasps anyway.

As for trees, I plant them from time to time and I'll chop them down if I
have reason. I don't worry too much about it - I think I've planted more
than I've killed so the trees aren't doing too badly ;-

Tim

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM