DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric cable: location marking (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/90592-electric-cable-location-marking.html)

[email protected] February 10th 05 03:37 PM

Electric cable: location marking

1970s house. Breezeblock + plaster inner walls.
Whilst taking the tiles off in the kitchen, near the fuse box, a patch
of plaster came away revealing what seemed to be thin wood(?!) in the
wall. I also saw a grey cable -- which I take to be one of the ring
main circuits.

* I patched the wall up and have marked the location of the grey cable
with an arrow scratched on the wall. Is there a standard symbol for
marking the location of electrical mains cables (E, perhaps?)

* Is it possible someone used wooden trunking for the electric cables
prior to plastering?

Bruce

Dave Stanton February 10th 05 06:44 PM

* I patched the wall up and have marked the location of the grey cable
with an arrow scratched on the wall. Is there a standard symbol for
marking the location of electrical mains cables (E, perhaps?)

* Is it possible someone used wooden trunking for the electric cables
prior to plastering?

Bruce

I would just write with a felt tip pen in large letters 'CABLES HERE'.
Should be obvious then!!!!

Dave

again
in the future!!

Lurch February 10th 05 10:43 PM

On 10 Feb 2005 07:37:58 -0800, strung
together this:

Is there a standard symbol for
marking the location of electrical mains cables (E, perhaps?)

Nope, big lines and "CABLES HERE" usually does the trick. They should
be above, below or to the side of a socket. If they are, they don't
need marking, if they're not, then no amount of markings, BS or not,
will make it right.
--

SJW