DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tips on using Epoxy Grout? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/90585-tips-using-epoxy-grout.html)

[email protected] February 10th 05 11:05 AM

Tips on using Epoxy Grout?

Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies? I want to use it in a
small cloakroom with only a small opening window. Any tips for using it
besides what is in the instructions? I'm not sure I can finish the job
in the 1 hr specified before it goes off so plan to mix half the
quantity and then do the same again.

MBQ

Andy Dingley February 10th 05 01:45 PM

On 10 Feb 2005 03:05:26 -0800, wrote:

Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies?

No. But it's still something you'll want to ventilate.

I want to use it in a small cloakroom

So why use epoxy ? It's expensive and awkward to work with. Unless I
_need_ the stain resistance or the abrasion resistance, then I
wouldn't bother with it.

Any tips for using it besides what is in the instructions?

Pot life is a bit longer than claimed, but this is the working time
including cleaning it off the tiles, not just the time to get it into
the gaps. The pot life has a long period where it has partly gelled
and is too stiff to work easily, rather than it having set hard. But
don't let it cure onto the tile's surface or you've got an awful job
to shift it.

For most grouting I use a foam pan scourer. This just isn't tough
enough for epoxy grouts - get a proper grout rubber from Axminster.
You'll also want some clean _white_ canvas or linen as a dry polishing
cloth afterwards.

I'm not sure I can finish the job
in the 1 hr specified before it goes off so plan to mix half the
quantity and then do the same again.

I'd recommend that.
--
Smert' spamionam

[email protected] February 10th 05 03:27 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005 03:05:26 -0800, wrote:

Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies?

No. But it's still something you'll want to ventilate.

I want to use it in a small cloakroom

So why use epoxy ? It's expensive and awkward to work with. Unless I
_need_ the stain resistance or the abrasion resistance, then I
wouldn't bother with it.

My elderly father comes to visit once a week for the day. Unfortunately
he has a lot of "accidents". He knows he needs to go and gets to the
cloakroom OK but cannot then control the flow. SWMBO wanted ceramic
tiles rather than off the roll vinyl or similar so I figured the stain
resistance of epoxy would be worth the hassle.

Anyone have the same situation? Does ordinary grout cope?

MBQ

quisquiliae February 10th 05 09:40 PM

wrote:
Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies? I want to use it in a
small cloakroom with only a small opening window. Any tips for using it
besides what is in the instructions? I'm not sure I can finish the job
in the 1 hr specified before it goes off so plan to mix half the
quantity and then do the same again.

Use a heavy duty rubber spreader (you can find them in B&Q) and a
scotchbrite type scouring pad. A cool room will give you a little more
time. I found it easier to clean off than normal grout in that, being
stickier, it dosn't readily wash out of joints when cleaning up. Work in
small areas until confident

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

[email protected] February 14th 05 01:52 PM

quisquiliae wrote:
wrote:
Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies? I want to use it in

small cloakroom with only a small opening window. Any tips for

using it
besides what is in the instructions? I'm not sure I can finish the

job
in the 1 hr specified before it goes off so plan to mix half the
quantity and then do the same again.

Use a heavy duty rubber spreader (you can find them in B&Q) and a
scotchbrite type scouring pad. A cool room will give you a

Thanks. That gets my nomination for uk.diy tip of the year. 94p for the
dpreader and 14p(!) for a pack of five value pan scrubbers from tesco.
Job done.

MBQ

PS. and it doesn't really smell at all, nothing like any other two part
epoxy I've used.

Pete C February 14th 05 10:46 PM

On 14 Feb 2005 05:52:25 -0800, wrote:

Thanks. That gets my nomination for uk.diy tip of the year. 94p for the
dpreader and 14p(!) for a pack of five value pan scrubbers from tesco.
Job done.

Hi,

Is epoxy grout much different to normal grout in applying it, and does
the excess on the tiles clean off OK?

cheers,
Pete.

[email protected] February 15th 05 11:43 AM

Pete C wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005 05:52:25 -0800, wrote:

Thanks. That gets my nomination for uk.diy tip of the year. 94p for

the
dpreader and 14p(!) for a pack of five value pan scrubbers from

tesco.
Job done.

Hi,

Is epoxy grout much different to normal grout in applying it, and

does
the excess on the tiles clean off OK?

cheers,
Pete.

I used it for the first time at the weekend. I found it much runnier
than ordinary grout but that may have been because I tried to mix only
half the quantity and may have got the proportion of hardener wrong. I
just followed the instructions and found it no more difficult than
ordinary grout.

MBQ

quisquiliae February 15th 05 08:33 PM

Pete C wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005 05:52:25 -0800, wrote:
Is epoxy grout much different to normal grout in applying it, and does
the excess on the tiles clean off OK?

My experience using Ardipox WA on a worktop and some other (Dunlop?)
brand on a shower room wall:

Epoxy is sticky, rather like heavy treacle and although ordinary ready
mixed grouts vary in viscosity, epoxy tends to be of a stiffer consistency.

I was very pleased with the workability of the Ardipox on the worktop.
With a heavy duty (~5mm thick) rubber squeegee I could use two handed
pressure to force it into the joints and wipe it off the surface of the
tiles. That left a thin sticky film that lifted off when scrubbed with
the scotchbrite pad and water. After that it just needs wiping with a
damp sponge to polish off the excess water.

Pete C February 15th 05 10:27 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:33:41 GMT, quisquiliae
wrote:

Pete C wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005 05:52:25 -0800, wrote:
Is epoxy grout much different to normal grout in applying it, and does
the excess on the tiles clean off OK?

My experience using Ardipox WA on a worktop and some other (Dunlop?)
brand on a shower room wall:

Epoxy is sticky, rather like heavy treacle and although ordinary ready
mixed grouts vary in viscosity, epoxy tends to be of a stiffer consistency.

I was very pleased with the workability of the Ardipox on the worktop.
With a heavy duty (~5mm thick) rubber squeegee I could use two handed
pressure to force it into the joints and wipe it off the surface of the
tiles. That left a thin sticky film that lifted off when scrubbed with
the scotchbrite pad and water. After that it just needs wiping with a
damp sponge to polish off the excess water.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I take it the film on the tiles has to be
removed before the grout sets!

cheers,
Pete.

quisquiliae February 16th 05 12:39 AM

Pete C wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I take it the film on the tiles has to be
removed before the grout sets!

Yes, especially with epoxy. With ordinary grout, if the film left when
the tiles are dry doesn't polish off with a cloth you can use grout
remover (acid) to dissolve it away. Once epoxy sets you won't shift it.
OTOH polish the tiles with a damp cloth before the epoxy goes off to
ensure no residual stickiness of the surface and when it's all dry the
finish is perfect.