DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Latex gloves - I'm converted! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/90547-latex-gloves-im-converted.html)

Dave February 10th 05 08:48 AM

Latex gloves - I'm converted!

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)

nightjar February 10th 05 09:17 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

No idea about the puncture resistance of nitrile rubber gloves, but they are
the only ones we use in my clean room. Latex gloves have a known problem of
causing allergies in people who wear them for extended periods.

Colin Bignell

Andrew Gabriel February 10th 05 09:51 AM

In article ,
Dave writes:
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

I have used the blue ones, but I don't have any left, so not
sure if they are the nitrile ones you refer to. Currently
have latex ones. Blue ones are stronger but not as elastic or
tight fitting, so they can get caught on things -- depends
what you're doing which is best. I buy them in boxes of 100
from CPC. Pretty essential for cleaning bicycle chains
unless you want dirty hands for a week.

For things like plastering, I use barrier cream. I'm about to
do some tiling, so I might try out both ways.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel February 10th 05 09:53 AM

In article ,
"nightjar" writes:

"Dave" wrote in message
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

No idea about the puncture resistance of nitrile rubber gloves, but they are
the only ones we use in my clean room. Latex gloves have a known problem of
causing allergies in people who wear them for extended periods.

They are also powdered to stop them sticking together, which
would be somewhat of a disaster in a clean room.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Colin Blackburn February 10th 05 10:01 AM

Dave wrote:
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price?

I use them all the time when repairing bikes or fiddling with diesel
gennies, it's a lot easier than getting the oil off afterwards. I also
have a pair with me when cycling in case of roadside repairs.

I got a box of 100 (50 pairs) from Screwfix, not sure if it was a good
price compared to elsewhere---currently £5.49.

A tip for winter working is to use a cheap pair of thermal liner gloves
underneath the latex. This can also stop the clamminess as well as
keeping your hands warm.

Colin

mrcheerful February 10th 05 10:06 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

Moved there years ago. Best ones I have tried were from Mac tools at 10
quid a box of 100. generally though I use some from a local bloke to me at
3 pounds a box. You need to try several makes as they vary vastly. Latex
can be reused, if not holed, I have a spare empty box with a bit of talc in,
when I take a glove off it goes in the box and is then reusable when it has
dried out. I don't like the nitrile ones personally, although they are
stronger and essential for some solvents,

mrcheerful

Grunff February 10th 05 10:06 AM

Dave wrote:
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price?

Motor factor. I pay ~£2.50 per box.

Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

I don't like the feel of nitrile. It isn't as stretchy as latex, so
doesn't give as natural a fit. Some people are allergic to latex, and
for them nitrile is the best option.

--
Grunff

Dave February 10th 05 10:12 AM

Blue ones are designed for the food processing industry. There being
on naturally blue food, alien bits are easily spotted! Same with
plasters, hair nets etc.

Makro sell the blue ones, Screwfix sell the latex, motor factors are
cheap as well. Quality varies enourmously.

Dave

Dave February 10th 05 10:46 AM

Colin Blackburn wrote:
.... snipped
A tip for winter working is to use a cheap pair of thermal liner gloves
underneath the latex. This can also stop the clamminess as well as
keeping your hands warm.

Colin

A good idea, are these "sealskinz" or something thinner?

[email protected] February 10th 05 11:00 AM

mrcheerful
. wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Are latex ones OK with paints and white spirit?

MBQ

Colin Blackburn February 10th 05 11:13 AM

Dave wrote:
Colin Blackburn wrote:
... snipped

A tip for winter working is to use a cheap pair of thermal liner
gloves underneath the latex. This can also stop the clamminess as well
as keeping your hands warm.

Colin

A good idea, are these "sealskinz" or something thinner?

I just use any old thermal liner gloves, you can get them in any walking
or outdoor shop. You can get the sealskinz brand but there are plenty of
others. The polyester ones are no more than between 5 quid, you can pay
more if you want silk.

These are the sealskinz ones, at 3.99

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000694

Colin

Markus Splenius February 10th 05 12:01 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:32 +0000, Dave
wrote:

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

If you want cheap latex gloves try http://www.medisave.co.uk

Just type gloves into the search box.

They have a huge range of gloves which come in boxes of 100 or 1000.

Markus

Andy Dingley February 10th 05 01:48 PM

wrote:

Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

Yes, use the blue ones.

Mine usually come from Arco, but they're pretty easy to find anywhere.
Try asking a back-street garage where they get theirs.

I'm also a great believer in barrier cream.

Andy Dingley February 10th 05 02:35 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:46:56 +0000, Dave
wrote:

A good idea, are these "sealskinz" or something thinner?

I use mil-surplus white lintless cotton optics-handling gloves. Cheap.

Andy Dingley February 10th 05 02:35 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:06:56 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Some people are allergic to latex, and
for them nitrile is the best option.

Few people are allergic to latex, rather more are allergic to the
powder that latex gloves are coated with. If you look, you can find
non-powdered latex which will often solve the allergy problem.

S Viemeister February 10th 05 02:51 PM

Dave wrote:

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.

They're also very good for preparing hot peppers, and for dealing with
colourful vegetables, like beets.

Sheila

nightjar February 10th 05 03:20 PM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"nightjar" writes:

"Dave" wrote in message
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

No idea about the puncture resistance of nitrile rubber gloves, but they
are
the only ones we use in my clean room. Latex gloves have a known problem
of
causing allergies in people who wear them for extended periods.

They are also powdered to stop them sticking together, which
would be somewhat of a disaster in a clean room.

There are, or at least used to be, powder free surgical grade latex gloves.
I presume they used some form of surface tratement or coating.

Colin Bignell

Dave February 10th 05 03:22 PM

wrote:

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

If you want cheap latex gloves try http://www.medisave.co.uk

Just type gloves into the search box.

They have a huge range of gloves which come in boxes of 100 or 1000.

Markus

'just placed an order :)
Thanks

Jonathan Telfer February 10th 05 05:41 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:32 +0000, Dave wrote:

I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally converted!
They really do make life easier and are more robust than I expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at a
sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the same
"second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has anyone
tried them?

I cast my vote for Safeskin Purple Nitrile gloves. The Rolls Royce of the
glove world. Just seem to fit better and have textured finger tips.
showing penetration times for various solvents.

John Rumm February 10th 05 07:04 PM

Colin Blackburn wrote:

I got a box of 100 (50 pairs) from Screwfix, not sure if it was a good
price compared to elsewhere---currently £5.49.

I get them from CPC, depending on whcich special offer you select they
go down to about 3 quid plus vat for 100 (cheaper if you buy five boxes)...

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm February 10th 05 07:12 PM

wrote:

Are latex ones OK with paints and white spirit?

Paint, yes usually fine...

spirit and solvents - depends on the solvent, sicne they are weakened by
some solvents. I found if using wood stain for example it was better to
wair two pairs at once and change the outer pair each time it started
looking baggy round the fingers.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Mark Spice February 10th 05 08:55 PM

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:06:56 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Some people are allergic to latex, and
for them nitrile is the best option.

Few people are allergic to latex, rather more are allergic to the
powder that latex gloves are coated with. If you look, you can find
non-powdered latex which will often solve the allergy problem.

Not true in all cases I'm afraid. My wife developed an allergy to latex
proteins during her work in the lab and now hast to avoid all latex products
which makes surgery interesting.......

Cheers

Mark

raden February 10th 05 10:05 PM

In message , John
Rumm writes
Colin Blackburn wrote:

I got a box of 100 (50 pairs) from Screwfix, not sure if it was a
good price compared to elsewhere---currently £5.49.

I get them from CPC, depending on whcich special offer you select they
go down to about 3 quid plus vat for 100 (cheaper if you buy five
boxes)...

Yeah - bought some today, they're good

--
geoff

garryb59 February 10th 05 11:02 PM

On 10 Feb 2005 09:51:20 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Dave writes:
[...]

Ah, what kind specifically, out of interest?

Cheers
Garry

Rob February 11th 05 11:00 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
I recently decided to give Latex gloves a go when tiling, grouting,
silicone'ing and general jobs around the garage - I'm totally
converted! They really do make life easier and are more robust than I
expected.
Presumably I'm not the first convert, where do you buy them from at
a sensible price? Some sites suggest that Blue Nitrile gives the
same "second skin" effect but are even more puncture resistant; has
anyone tried them?

Vinyl ones are better with oil, paraffin and some paints and
varnishes, and cost about the same as latex. I get them from
autojumbles or Progressive Safety, usually around £3-£5/100.
Nitrile are the strongest but more expensive.
Lakeland DermaGuard skin protector cream seems quite good.

Rob