DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Re-varnish dining table (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9023-re-re-varnish-dining-table.html)

Badger May 29th 04 05:38 AM

Re-varnish dining table

Mike John wrote:

If it is teak then Varnish is probably not a good idea. I have a dining table that had

previously been varnished that looked pretty awful. Stripped the varnish with varnish

remover, then scraper, then steel wool to get it to a fine surface. Then refinished

with Tung oil. This is very similar to teak oil but with a harder finish.

Now looks far better than with a varnish finish.

Mike

One item that may help is a hot iron and a damp cloth, often the
scratches have damaged wood fibres at the bottom and raising them before
taking the rest of the surface off may help with an improved final finish.

Niel.

Mike John May 29th 04 06:21 PM

Re-varnish dining table

If it is teak then Varnish is probably not a good idea. I have a dining =
table that had previously been varnished that looked pretty awful. =
Stripped the varnish with varnish remover, then scraper, then steel wool =
to get it to a fine surface. Then refinished with Tung oil. This is very =
similar to teak oil but with a harder finish. Now looks far better than =
with a varnish finish.

Mike

"Nige" wrote in message =
I want to re-varnish a G-Plan veneered teak dining table, it has got a
lot of scratches and heat damage. What is the best way to prepare it, =

scraper, sandpaper, or varnish remover?
--=20
Nige
=20
Please replace YYYY with the current year